This project is a proof of concept that any website can identify and track you, even if you are using private browsing or incognito mode in your web browser. Many people think that they can hide their identity if they are using private browsing or incognito mode. This project will prove that they are wrong.
How to use the website
- Visit http://www.nothingprivate.ml and enter your name
- Click the "See the magic" button
- Visit the same website in Private browsing / Incognito mode
- See the magic
Don't scroll down and ruin the fun... Just follow the steps above...
Hope you are surprised!
Yes, nothing is free...
Some tech stuff
Nothing Private uses the browser fingerprinting feature of Client.js to obtain the fingerprint of your web browser. When you submit the form, this fingerprint is saved, along with your name in an SQLite database using PHP as a backend. The next time you visit the website your browser fingerprint is matched with the column in the database and your name is returned.
Visit db_server for the server files.
Feel free to modify the code and open any pull requests.
- Add more links
- Fix any typos
Special thanks to these rockstars:
- 33giga.com.br for the blog post.
- Thanks to everyone who tweeted about this.
- Thanks to TechCycle for this demo video.
- Thanks Joe for https://pnut.io/.
- Thanks to the @Mozilla community for discussing privacy issues. Some users even reported that nothing private is even working correctly with the latest version of Firefox Focus. They created an issue for it.
If you are having trouble using this project, please open a new issue and describe your problem.
Spread the word!
Liked the project? Just give it a star