The Page Builder to Easily Create Professional Websites
✏️ 📰 🚀
Create a free website with Academic using Markdown, Jupyter, or RStudio. Choose a beautiful color theme and build anything with the Page Builder - over 50 widgets, themes, and language packs included!
👉Get Started 📚View the documentation 💬Chat with the Academic community or Hugo community 🐦Twitter: @source_themes @GeorgeCushen #MadeWithAcademic 💡Request a feature or report a bug ⬆️Updating? View the Update Guide and Release Notes ❤️Support development of Academic:
- Page builder - Create anything with widgets and elements
- Edit any type of content - Blog posts, publications, talks, slides, projects, and more!
- Create content in Markdown, Jupyter, or RStudio
- Plugin System - Fully customizable color and font themes
- Display Code and Math - Code highlighting and LaTeX math supported
- Integrations - Google Analytics, Disqus commenting, Maps, Contact Forms, and more!
- Beautiful Site - Simple and refreshing one page design
- Industry-Leading SEO - Help get your website found on search engines and social media
- Media Galleries - Display your images and videos with captions in a customizable gallery
- Mobile Friendly - Look amazing on every screen with a mobile friendly version of your site
- Multi-language - 15+ language packs including English, 中文, and Português
- Multi-user - Each author gets their own profile page
- Privacy Pack - Assists with GDPR
- Stand Out - Bring your site to life with animation, parallax backgrounds, and scroll effects
- One-Click Deployment - No servers. No databases. Only files.
Academic comes with automatic day (light) and night (dark) mode built-in. Alternatively, click the sun/moon icon in the top right of the Demo to set your preferred mode!
Choose a stunning theme for your site and customize it to your liking:
The Future of Technical Content Writing
- Academic Admin: An admin tool to import publications from BibTeX or import assets for an offline site
- Academic Scripts: Scripts to help migrate content to new versions of Academic
You can choose from one of the following four methods to install:
- one-click install using your web browser (recommended)
- install on your computer using Git with the Command Prompt/Terminal app
- install on your computer by downloading the ZIP files
- install on your computer with RStudio
Install with web browser
- One-click install of Academic creates an
academic-kickstartrepository in your GitHub or GitLab account
- Netlify will provide you with a customizable URL to access your new site, or get your own domain
- Shortly after editing content in your repository, your site will automatically update
- Optionally, to edit your site in a Markdown editor on your computer, perform the steps in the Install with Git section below
Install with Git
Fork the Academic Kickstart repository to create a new website
- If you already created your site with Netlify, then skip this step
Clone your fork to your computer with Git, replacing
sourcethemesin the command below with your GitHub username:
git clone https://github.com/sourcethemes/academic-kickstart.git My_Website
Initialize the theme:
cd My_Website git submodule update --init --recursive
Install with ZIP
- Download and extract Academic Kickstart
- Download and extract the Academic theme files from the
hugo-academic-masterfolder to the
themes/academic/folder in Academic Kickstart
Install with RStudio
If you wish to initialise your site with the demo content, copy the contents of the
themes/academic/exampleSite/ folder to your website root folder, overwriting existing files if necessary. The
exampleSite folder contains an example config file and content to help you get started. The following command can be used to accomplish this:
cp -av themes/academic/exampleSite/* .
Copyright 2016-present George Cushen.
Released under the MIT license.