A curated list about the decentralized technologies and tools to develop decentralized applications.
Thanks to the Decentralized Web Summit for the inspiration.
Projects inactive for a while are marked as discontinued!.
Protocols and Technologies
Tools for building a decentralized web.
- ForgeFed - a decentralized federation protocol provides a server to server API for pull request, forking and subscription.
- Matrix - an open standard for decentralised persistent communication over IP. Matrix wants to connect together all the various communication services and make them interoperate.
- BitTorrent - protocol for distributed file sharing.
- Dat Protocol - versioned, encrypted, peer-to-peer protocol for distributed file sharing.
- IPFS - or InterPlanetary File System, is a distributed file storage system that aims to replace HTTP.
- ActivityPub - open, decentralized social networking protocol based on Pump.io's ActivityPump protocol.
- Blockstack - Blockstack is a new fully decentralized internet that comes with a full stack of open-source developer tools to build and bootstrap decentralized applications and protocol ecosystems.
- Interledger - it interconnects disparate cryptocurrencies and financial systems.
- libdweb - a community effort to implement experimental APIs enabling dweb protocols in Firefox.
- Mysterium Network - open sourced network allowing anyone to rent their unused Network traffic, while providing a secure connection for those in need.
- Solid - a proposed set of conventions and tools for building decentralized social applications based on Linked Data principles.
- WebRTC - W3C drafted standard for browser-to-browser data transfer.
Things built with decentralized protocols and technologies.
- Backfeed - a technology to enable decentralized and user-owned governance and reputation management for a community. Discontinued!
- bitnation.co - the World’s First Virtual Nation – A Blockchain Jurisdiction.
- git-ssb - Decentralized git repo hosting and issue tracking on secure-scuttlebutt.
- PeerPad - a realtime P2P collaborative editing tool, powered by IPFS and CRDTs.
- BitMessage - anonymous encrypted message broadcasting.
- disaster.radio - a disaster-resilient communications network powered by the sun.
- LevelNews - a leftist news aggregator designed for an open web, and dedicated to journalism without censorship.
- LibreMesh - a modular framework for creating OpenWrt/LEDE-based firmwares for wireless mesh nodes.
- Ricochet - completely anonymous and potentially metadata-free chat Discontinued!
- Bitcoin - it is the first decentralized digital currency, as the system works without a central bank or single administrator.
- Ethereum - blockchain-based distributed computing platform featuring smart contract (scripting) functionality. It provides a decentralized Turing-complete virtual machine
- Monero - aims to improve on existing cryptocurrency design by obscuring sender, recipient and amount of every transaction.
- Zcash - a cryptocurrency built for total privacy. Zcash encrypts transactions so that they can be validated while still private.
- Awesome-cryptocurrencies - a curated list of cryptocurrencies.
- Curated list of blockchain and crytocurrency resources in general
- BigchainDB - a scalable database that layers blockchain technology over decentralized data.
- Dat Base - future-friendly apps for your research data pipeline.
- IPDB - a federated database network built on BigchainDB and IPFS. It is maintained by a network of caretakers around the world, at least half of which are nonprofits.
- OrbitDB - p2p database engine on top of IPFS.
Data Storage and Sharing
- Arweave - A Protocol for Economically SustainableInformation Permanence.
- CacheP2P - a distributed caching platform. Discontinued!
- Cryptosphere - an open-source P2P web application platform for decentralized, privacy-preserving software. Discontinued!
- Holochain - a validating monotonic DHT backed by authoritative hashchains for data provenance.
- Filecoin - a decentralized storage network based on IPFS, powered by a blockchain and a native token.
- instant.io - streaming file transfer over WebTorrent.
- OnionShare - hosts the selected files as a hidden service on the user's computer
- ORC - the Onion Router Cloud, a distributed, anonymous, object storage platform owned and operated by all of us. Discontinued!
- Peergos - end-to-end encrypted, peer-to-peer file storage, sharing and communication network.
- Perkeep - set of open source formats, protocols, and software for modeling, storing, searching, sharing and synchronizing data.
- Rotonde - commonly agreed upon specifications of a JSON object shared between members of the network.
- Tahoe-LAFS - a private, encrypted file storage system that decentralizes data across multiple servers.
- Tribler - Privacy enhanced BitTorrent client with P2P content discovery.
- Sia - a decentralized private cloud.
- Storj - a blockchain-based, end-to-end encrypted, distributed object storage.
- Swarm - a distributed storage platform and content distribution service of the ethereum stack.
- WebTorrent - an in-browser torrenting that works without requiring users to install anything extra.
- Wikipediap2p - a p2p version of wikipedia. Discontinued!
- Bit451 - decentralized / distributed anonymous p2p media network. YouTube meets BitTorrent meets Bitcoin. Discontinued!
- DTube - decentralized video platform, built on top of the STEEM Blockchain and the IPFS peer-to-peer network.
- ferment - Peer-to-peer audio publishing and streaming application.
- Mediachain - a media library built on IPFS that makes it easy to publish, track, and discover creative work.
- Mediagoblin - a free software media publishing platform alternative to Flickr, YouTube, SoundCloud.
- PeerTube - Decentralized federated video streaming platform using P2P, ActivityPub and WebTorrent.
Microblogging and Social Network
- Dat Medium - Dat Medium is markdown blog system for Beaker inspired by Medium. Discontinued!
- diaspora* - decentralized and federated social media platform.
- Friendica - decentralized and federated social media platform.
- Hubzilla - decentralized and federated social media platform.
- Mastodon - decentralized alternative to twitter, with servers federation.
- Patchwork - a decentralized messaging and sharing app built on top of Secure Scuttlebutt.
- Pleroma - a federated social networking platform.
- Scuttlebutt - a decent(ralised) secure gossip platform.
- Socialhome - decentralized and federated profile builder with social networking features.
- Tahrir - looks and feels like twitter but encrypted and anonymized and decentralized and only you hold the keys. Discontinued!
- trsst - looks and feels like twitter but encrypted and anonymized and decentralized and only you hold the keys. Discontinued!
- Twister - a fully decentralized P2P microblogging platform leveraging the free software implementations of Bitcoin and BitTorrent protocols.
- Jolocom - a decentralised digital identity for everyone.
- magic-wormhole - get things from one computer to another, safely.
- OpenTimeStamps - OpenTimestamps aims to be a standard format for blockchain timestamping.
- StrongLink - a searchable, syncable, content-addressable notetaking system Discontinued!
- Beaker - Beaker is a peer-to-peer Web browser, made for users to run applications independently of hosts.
- Freenet- a network aimed at activists and people living in repressive regimes. It uses a web of trust in high security mode, which allows users on the network to be effectively undetectable.
- GNUnet - GNUnet is a new network protocol stack for building secure, distributed, and privacy-preserving applications. With strong roots in academic research, our goal is to replace the old insecure Internet protocol stack.
- Handshake - decentralized certificate authority and naming.
- I2P - anonymous network with hidden services.
- IPWB - an interplanetary wayback machine.
- Loki - Loki creates privacy tools that enable untraceable, secure transactions and anonymous communication.
- MaidSafe - a soon-to-be-released decentralized internet and app infrastructure which rewards users for participating in the network.
- Namecoin - a replacement for the existing domain name system that registers identities on a blockchain, rather than a centralized DNS authority.
- Onename - domain registar for Blockstack.
- OpenBazaar - marketplace, with store fronts and moderators.
- Samizdat - Samizdat is a platform for the self-hosted, peer-to-peer, cryptographically-secured internet. Discontinued!
- Shift - Decentralized hosting infrastructure for dApps.
- Steemit - blogging and social networking website on top of a blockchain database.
- Tor - anonymous network proxy.
- yacy - Distributed Peer-to-Peer Web Search Engine and Intranet Search Appliance.
- ZeroNet - a peer-to-peer web built on the Bitcoin cryptography for addressing, and identity and Namecoin for .bit domains.
Other Related Lists
- Awesome-decentralized-id - Resources for creating a Decentralized, Vendor Agnostic, Self Sovereign Identity System for people organizations and things.