JSON & AJAX
Slides and materials are hosted here.
In this workshop, you'll learn ways you can use data in your webpages, using AJAX to pull in JSON formatted data dynamically from servers.
The workshop will be a mix of lectures and hands-on exercises in pairs, and will be taught by [teacher X, tiny bio]. This is a great follow-up workshop for those who have attended our jQuery workshop.
You can review them online at a few places:
- HTML/CSS: Khan Academy's HTML/CSS course, Codecademy's HTML/CSS course, GDI SF HTML/CSS slides
- JS: Codecademy's JS course, Khan Academy's Intro to JS course, GDI SF JS slides
- DOM API: Khan Academy's "Making Webpages Interactive" course
- jQuery: Codecademy's jQuery course
- Your laptop (Mac, PC, or Linux are all okay) and charger.
- A modern web browser - either Chrome or Firefox.
- A text editor. We recommend Sublime Text 2 (free; available for both Mac and PC) or Notepad++ (PC).
- Storing data as JSON
- Turning JSON data into DOM nodes
- Using AJAX to pull in JSON