Presentations and training material for 2017
- Slides from my presentation "How Not To Be Wrong"
- Workshop -- SQL 4: String functions and subqueries
- Workshop -- QGIS I and II
- Workshop -- Make Parsing Great Again With Regex
- Workshop -- Beautiful Online Maps in Minutes with Leaflet
Note: For the workshop PDF files, it's best to download the files and open in your PDF viewer.
IRE New York Watchdog Workshop
Powerpoint on covering racial disparity.
Powerpoint from "Investigating bias and influence in criminal justice: Judges and beyond" panel.
Open Refine is a vital tool for cleaning dirty data. A typical example is when a dataset contains names of people or companies but with inconsistent spelling that needs to be standardized. At NICAR, Nils Mulvad and I will walk through a tutorial he created. The exercise is here, the practice data here and here.
Note: After clicking on links, click "View Raw" if the file doesn't download immediately