Project 2 - Campsite Findr
Introduction to Campsite Findr
This is a crowd-sourced app built to share campsites from all over the world. Once registered and logged in, users can submit campsites information including images and also leave a review with a rating.
- Ruby on Rails version 2.4.2
- Bootstrap HTML
- Images from https://unsplash.com
- Google Font
- Font Awesome
- Download this directory from Github to a local directory on your computer.
- In your terminal
cdinto this project folder.
- Make sure you are in the correct place by typing
- Then type
bundleto install the Ruby gems needed for this app.
- If you do not have Postgresql, download it from their website: https://www.postgresql.org/download/
- Run Postgresql server
- Open a new terminal tab
CMD + t
- In the new tab, type
rails run db:migrateto migrate the app's tables.
- Then type
rails sto initiate your local server
- Open a new browser and type
localhost:3000- if you are getting an error make sure you don't have any other local servers running in your terminal.
- Start sharing campsites and reviews!
ERD (entity relationship diagram)
My main issue was getting all my redirects to work properly. I had to set specific methods to request the destination url, the referrer, save cookie sessions, delete the cookie after, render a page, etc. It was very confusing.
I also got obsessed with Bootstrap and CSS and spent too much time and energy on tiny little details.
- Fix the footer; does not fix to bottom on pages with less content.
- When a user signs up, instead of redirecting to the login page, I would like to the user to be logged in automatically when they sign up and be redirected to their profile page.
- Add an edit button in the user's profile.
- Add search capability in the nav bar.