This repository contains the firmware for the X-CTF 2016 badge.
Check under Releases to find the actual binary blob that was flashed into the participants' badges.
The hardware portion for this badge is also open-source: https://github.com/jellyjellyrobot/neander
If you are interested in the design process, I wrote up about the hardware and software design aspects separately in these blog posts:
Feel free to use this code in your own projects (see the License section below for details).
Special thanks to Jeremias, Yu Siang and the rest of the gang in the NUS Greyhats team for helping to design and assemble the badges.
- Install the Arduino IDE and ESP8266 addon by following the Adafruit guide
- Clone this repo into your Arduino sketches folder.
- Open the badger project in the Arduino IDE and click the Upload button
Uploading without Compilation
Use the esptool.py and specify the binary file
You can find this file under the Releases section in the GitHub repo.
The command-line should look like the following:
esptool.py -b 921600 -p /dev/ttyUSB1 write_flash -ff 80m -fs 32m 0x0000 badger.ino.bin
If you are interested in mass-uploading the firmware to ESP8266 devices, check out the method I described in my blog post.
badger is licensed under the 3-clause ("modified") BSD License.
Copyright (C) 2016 Darell Tan & Jacob Soo
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.