GeneWeb is an open source genealogy software written in OCaml. It comes with a Web interface and can be used off-line or as a Web service.
- Documentation maintained by the community: http://geneweb.tuxfamily.org/
- GeneWeb API (generated from source): http://geneweb.github.io/geneweb/
- GeneWeb overview (realized by OCamlPro): http://geneweb.github.io/
Installation (for users)
WARNING: before installing a new version of GeneWeb, it is highly recommended to save your bases into .gw formated files.
When installing a version of GeneWeb with the "pre-release" qualifier, you are participating to the collective test effort (thanks for your contribution). You should keep aside the previous version you were using, and refrain from extensive updates or additions in your bases until the "release" qualifier is effective.
Any problem you encounter or issue you want to raise should be entered on the issue page of the GitHub repository (https://github.com/geneweb/geneweb/issues)
Download the file corresponding to your environment from the releases page.
Extract the distribution folder and place it at the location of your choice. You may alse rename it. Its content is as follows (this example is for a Mac distribution. Other distributions are very similar):
drwxr-xr-x 13 Henri staff 416 10 jul 08:34 . drwxr-xr-x 44 Henri staff 1408 10 jul 16:14 .. -rw-r--r-- 1 Henri staff 160427 10 jul 08:34 CHANGES.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 Henri staff 18007 10 jul 08:34 LICENSE.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 Henri staff 1053 10 jul 08:34 LISEZMOI.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 Henri staff 950 10 jul 08:34 README.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 Henri staff 10780 10 jul 08:34 START.htm drwxr-xr-x 2 Henri staff 64 10 jul 08:34 bases -rwxr-xr-x 1 Henri staff 1632 10 jul 08:34 geneweb.command drwxr-xr-x 21 Henri staff 672 10 jul 08:34 gw -rwxr-xr-x 1 Henri staff 67 10 jul 08:34 gwd.command -rwxr-xr-x 1 Henri staff 71 10 jul 08:34 gwsetup.command
Starting the GeneWeb servers may depend on your specific environment.
Apple provides a security mechanism preventing users from executing application which are not provided by authenticated developpers. Such applications cannot be started by double-clicking on their icons. Apple provides a two step mechanism circumventing this security:
- right-click on the application icon (
gwsetup). This will pop-up a window mentioning the security issue, and providing an "open" button. Click on this button to open the application. Ignore the resulting messages as no parameters were provided.
gwsetuphave been started in this fashion, they will be white-listed on your machine and subsequent opens will succeed.
gwsetup, double click on the
file which will launch both servers with appropriate parameters.
With the configuration provided in this launch command the bases are located in
You may reorganize your folder structure (and launch command) as described in the
Quite similar to the MacOS solution, without the security check.
xxx.command files have an equivalent
- Documentation: http://geneweb.tuxfamily.org/wiki/GeneWeb
- Mailing list: https://framalistes.org/sympa/subscribe/geneweb
- IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/geneweb
- Git: https://github.com/geneweb/geneweb
- Forum: http://www.geneanet.org/forum/GeneWeb-85
- Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/geneweb
- Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeneWeb
Installation (for developpers)
- Run the configuration script
$ ocaml ./configure.ml
- Build the distibution
$ make clean distrib
You can have a description of available configuration options using
$ ocaml ./configure.ml --help
- Try to keep the same coding style as the existing one.
- New code should not contain any trailing whitespace.
- Each pull request should have a single clear purpose. If it containes multiple unrelated changes, those changes should be split into separate pull requests.
- If the PR needs to be update, push force.
- When submitting a new feature/function, write documentation and tests if it is relevant.
All files marked in this distribution are Copyright (c) 1998-2016 INRIA (Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et Automatique) and distributed under the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE. See LICENSE file for details.