GeneWeb is an open source genealogy software written in OCaml. It comes with a Web interface and can be used off-line or as a Web service.
The documentation is available online: http://geneweb.tuxfamily.org/
We encourage you to participate in this open source project. We love pull requests, bugs reports, ideas...
- Mailing list: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GeneWeb/info
- IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/geneweb
- Git: https://github.com/geneweb/geneweb
- Forum: http://www.geneanet.org/forum/GeneWeb-85
- Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/geneweb
- Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeneWeb
Building the code
- Install OCaml (http://ocaml.org/)
- Install opam (https://opam.ocaml.org/)
- Install camlp5 (with opam)
- (Optional) Install ocamlfind (with opam)
- Clone the repository
git clone https://github.com/geneweb/geneweb
- Compil GeneWeb
./configure make opt make distrib
Building the API
The API uses the Google Protocol Buffer to exchange informations encoded as pb, json, xml.
It has the following dependancies:
Creating a pull request
Use the bug number/title as the name of pull request. Example of commit message "PR #XXX: Title of the PR/Bug".
- Try to keep the same coding style as the existing one.
- New code should not contain any trailing whitespace.
- Each commit should have a single clear purpose. If a commit contains multiple unrelated changes, those changes should be split into separate commits.
- If a commit requires another commit to build properly, those commits should be squashed.
- If the PR needs to be update, push force.
|CHANGES||changes (for genealogists non programmers)|
|ICHANGES||changes (for programmers)|
|dag2html||library to create html trees|
|etc||additional files for distribution|
|ged2gwb||converter GEDCOM -> GeneWeb|
|gwb2ged||converter GeneWeb -> GEDCOM|
|gwtp||CGI to upload and download databases|
|hd||html and image files for GeneWeb program|
|rpm||files to create Linux rpm packages|
|setup||service (gwsetup) to launch commands in a Web navigator|
|src||sources of main programs|
|tools||tools for compiling|
|wserver||library for creating Web services|
All files marked in this distribution are Copyright (c) 1998-2016 INRIA (Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et Automatique) and distributed under the conditions stated in file LICENSE. They can be freely redistributed for non-commercial purposes, provided the copyright notice remains attached.
You can compile on Unix, Windows or Mac OS X machines. See the file INSTALL for installation instructions.