NOTE: please edit this in edit mode 'reStructuredText'. This will make things easy to port to the codebase (sphinx) docs in git
Last Updated: 2014-03-07
The project representative and mentor (Jeff McKenna) will use this template to inform the IncCom of pycsw's project status on a periodic basis. The state of the pycsw project, as reported using this template, will be the initial indication that pycsw is reaching graduation.
- Has the project been approved for incubation by the OSGeo board?
- Yes (http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2013-March/002167.html).
- Has an Incubation Mentor been assigned to the project?
- Yes (Jeff McKenna).
pycsw Infrastructure Transition
Note, for each of the following it isn't necessary to move to foundation infrastructure, but if you aren't a reason should be provided.
- Has the projectname.osgeo.org domain been populated with the projects web presence?
- A direct link to http://pycsw.org/ is used from the main OSGeo.org home page, in the "Incubating Projects" panel.
- Is the OSGeo bug tracker being used for the project?
- No, issues are hosted on GitHub, which allow reference to / from source code. GitHub bug tracker hosting is now common for OSGeo projects (eg. MapServer, OpenLayers)
- Is the OSGeo mailing list manager (http://lists.osgeo.org/) being used for the project?
- Yes (http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/pycsw-devel). There are currently 30 registered members.
- Is the OSGeo SVN being used for the project?
- No, pycsw uses Git/GitHub (https://github.com/geopython/pycsw) for source code management, wiki and issues.
- Are binary and source downloads available from http://download.osgeo.org ?
- Yes (http://download.osgeo.org/pycsw/)
pycsw Community Functioning
- Is there a functioning user support mechanisms (ie. mailing list)? indicate the available user support mechanisms, and whether they seem to be functioning well (are getting used and get answers).
Yes. The mailing list is very active. There is also considerable activity in projects like GeoNode and CKAN, given pycsw can be embedded in downstream applications.
There is also a very thorough Workshop to follow (http://geopython.github.io/pycsw-workshop), as well as several live demos of pycsw in action (http://demo.pycsw.org/), including a jQuery/Leaflet viewer (http://demo.pycsw.org/viewer/index.html).
- Are source and binary downloads for the package available?
- Yes. Source is available at http://pycsw.org/download/ pycsw is available on the OSGeo-Live project (http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/pycsw_overview.html), and packages exist for openSUSE and Ubuntu. pycsw is also available on the Python Package Index (PyPI)
- Has a Project Steering Committee been formed, and given control of the project?
- No, a PSC has not been formed yet. Initial discussion of membership has occurred.
- Does the Project Steering Committee have documentation on project procedures for PSC decisions, contributor guidelines, etc.
- How many active developers are there? Are they from multiple organizations?
Number of active developers: 3
Organizations: National Technical University of Athens, Azavea, volunteer contributors
In the last 12 months there have been 7 active contributors (source: Ohloh http://www.ohloh.net/p/pycsw/contributors?sort=latest_commit&time_span=12+months)
pycsw Foundation Membership
- Have project documents been updated to reflect membership in the foundation, and the relationship of the project to the foundation?
- Has an effort been made to brand the project web site with OSGeo foundation web styling and branding marks?
- The site does contain a "OSGeo: Project in Incubation" graphic (bottom right of http://pycsw.org/)
pycsw Code Copyright Review
- Has a Code Provenance Review document been prepared for the project?
- Have issues raised in the provenance review been adequately addressed?
- Are Committer Responsibilities Guidelines covering legal issues in place?