Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
GSIP 118 - Use OSGeo Corporate/Individual License
Assigned to Release
This proposal is for GeoServer 2.6.
By following the text of the Apache Foundation Individual Contributor License Agreement and Corporate CLA it is much easier for organisations to review the terms and conditions, often alleviating the need for independent legal council.
We have also had a bit of a communication chore requesting license conformation from OpenPlans. With this in mind the Open Source Geospatial Foundation is presented as an alternative.
OpenPlans has been contacted and is willing to transfer the codebase to OSGeo.
- Add an agenda item to the OSGeo board and ensure they are aware of the plan
- Ask OpenPlans to sign a corporate_contributor.txt listing GeoServer in schedule B
- Update the developers guide license information
- Update http://geoserver.org/license/
- Ask OSGeo secretary to compare list of GeoServer committers on GitHub to license agreements on hand. Contacting individuals as needed to request paperwork.
- Update the headers, should be possible with single search and replace as we have a clear cut-over point
- Board Meeting 2014-08-14
- OSGeo Licenses page See corporate_contributor.txt and individual_contributor.txt
- Apache Licenses page - See icla.txt and cla-corporate.txt
- Coding Style - GeoTools
Example of proposed header change:
/* GeoServer - http://geoserver.org * * Copyright (c) 2014 Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) * Copyright (c) 2001 - 2011 OpenPlans * * This code is licensed under the GPL 2.0 license, available at the root * application directory. */
For more information on header management see [Expectations and Examples](Expectations and Examples). Feedback
OpenPlans staff have been contacted in this respect and are supportive of the change.
This is also an opportunity to review documentation for existing contributors.
No compatibility issues, license remains the same.
Project Steering Committee:
- Alessio Fabiani:
- Andrea Aime: +1
- Ben Caradoc-Davies: +1
- Christian Mueller: +1
- Gabriel Roldán: +1
- Jody Garnett: +1
- Jukka Rahkonen: +1
- Justin Deoliveira: +1
- Phil Scadden: +1
- Simone Giannecchini: +1