Move Dock from Ethereum to Polkadot
Nick Macario (@nickmacario)
DGP-2: Move Dock from Ethereum to Polkadot
Since Dock's inception the market has experienced many advancements in technology that enable faster development velocity, vastly improved scalability, on-chain governance upgrades, and far better user experiences.
In this pivotal and exciting time, Dock Core Developers are preparing to release an updated lightpaper after alternative blockchain ecosystem choices have been evaluated.
Dock connected with teams to best understand feasibility, support and anticipated development timelines.
- Ethereum 2.0
- Binance Chain
Rationale for Proposing Dock move to Polkadot
All of the evaluated networks are strong but Polkadot is the clear choice for the Dock Network for the following reasons:
- Development velocity: Substrate enables rapid modular development
- Portability: WebAssembly brings flexibility and portability to the code base
- Interoperability: Polkadot is designed for DApps to transact across chains
- Scalability: Polkadot's horizontal scaling solution is superior to alternative solutions Dock has tested to-date
- On-chain governance upgrades: Substrate's hot-swappable consensus will allow the Dock Network to launch as a Proof-of-Authority(PoA) solochain prior to the Proof-of-Stake(PoS) parachain
- Economics: Running a Polkadot parachain will allow Dock to customize the Network's economics to better serve all participants in the long-term
- User experiences: All of the above helps Dock achieve more seamless user-experiences across the board
- Parity: Development team with a demonstrable, proven record
Using Substrate today, Dock will be able to begin developing the PoA solochain immediately. Dock is confident in the Parity team's proven track record of milestone deliveries and will be working closely with their team and Web3 Foundation if this proposal passes.
Copyright and related rights waived via CC0.