Be notified of new releases
Create your free GitHub account today to subscribe to this repository for new releases and build software alongside 28 million developers.Sign up
On behalf of the Nikola team, I am pleased to announce the immediate availability of Nikola v7.8.7. This is a part-emergency bugfix, part-world domination release.
What is Nikola?
Nikola is a static site and blog generator, written in Python.
It can use Mako and Jinja2 templates, and input in many popular markup formats, such as reStructuredText and Markdown — and can even turn Jupyter (IPython) Notebooks into blog posts! It also supports image galleries, and is multilingual. Nikola is flexible, and page builds are extremely fast, courtesy of doit (which is rebuilding only what has been changed).
Find out more at the website: https://getnikola.com/
In an effort to improve interoperability with other static site generators, make importing data easier, and help with world domination, Nikola v7.8.7 ships with support for the following metadata formats:
- reST-style comments (
.. name: value— default format)
- Two-file format (reST-style comments or 7-line)
- Jupyter Notebook metadata
- YAML, between
- TOML, between
- reST docinfo (Pelican)
- Markdown metadata extension (Pelican)
In addition, Markdown is now enabled and required by default. More details: https://getnikola.com/handbook.html#metadata-formats
The release also fixes two important bugs, one that crashes when trying to detect locale in some edge cases, and another which made some themes quietly leak template files. If you’re using a Jinja2-based theme that does not have its own
parent file, please force a rebuild (
nikola build -a).
- Enable markdown by default (part of Issue #2809)
- Allowing to register filters from plugins, and allowing to specify default filters as strings of the form
filters.<name>(part of Issue #2475)
- Support ignoring assets via
ignore_assetstheme meta field (Issue #2812)
- Ignore unused Colorbox locales (Issue #2812)
- Accept tag metadata as lists for YAML/TOML (Issue #2801)
- Support for mapping metadata from other formats to Nikola names using the
METADATA_MAPPINGsetting (Issue #2817)
- Support for reStructured text docinfo metadata with
USE_REST_DOCINFO_METADATAoption, defaulting to False (Issue #1923)
HIDE_REST_DOCINFOoption, defaulting to False.
- Support for Markdown Metadata for Pelican compatibility by adding
- Support for YAML and TOML metadata (Issue #2801)