.. ifconfig:: release.endswith('.dev') .. warning:: This documentation is for the version of Pelican currently under development. Were you looking for version |last_stable| documentation?
Pelican is a static site generator, written in Python. Highlights include:
- Write your content directly with your editor of choice in reStructuredText or Markdown formats
- Includes a simple CLI tool to (re)generate your site
- Easy to interface with distributed version control systems and web hooks
- Completely static output is easy to host anywhere
Ready to get started? Check out the :doc:`Quickstart<quickstart>` guide.
Pelican |version| currently supports:
- Articles (e.g., blog posts) and pages (e.g., "About", "Projects", "Contact")
- Comments, via an external service (Disqus). If you prefer to have more control over your comment data, self-hosted comments are another option. Check out the Pelican Plugins repository for more details.
- Theming support (themes are created using Jinja2 templates)
- Publication of articles in multiple languages
- Atom/RSS feeds
- Code syntax highlighting
- Import from WordPress, Dotclear, or RSS feeds
- Integration with external tools: Twitter, Google Analytics, etc. (optional)
- Fast rebuild times thanks to content caching and selective output writing
Why the name "Pelican"?
"Pelican" is an anagram for calepin, which means "notebook" in French. ;)
You can access the source code at: https://github.com/getpelican/pelican
How to get help, contribute, or provide feedback
.. toctree:: :maxdepth: 2 quickstart install content publish settings themes plugins pelican-themes importer faq tips contribute internals report changelog