An attempt to make something better than
ack (which itself is better than
- It searches code about 3–5× faster than
- It ignores file patterns from your
- If there are files in your source repo you don't want to search, just add their patterns to a
.agignorefile. *cough* extern *cough*
- The command name is 33% shorter than
- Searching for literals (no regex) uses Boyer-Moore-Horspool strstr.
- Files are
mmap()ed instead of read into a buffer.
- If you're building with PCRE 8.21 or greater, regex searches use the JIT compiler.
- Ag calls
pcre_study()before executing the regex on a jillion files.
- Instead of calling
fnmatch()on every pattern in your ignore files, non-regex patterns are loaded into an array and binary searched.
- Ag uses Pthreads to take advantage of multiple CPU cores and search files in parallel.
This blog post gives an idea of how I go about improving performance.
brew install the_silver_searcher
For debs, rpms, and static builds, see the downloads page.
- Install dependencies (Automake, pkg-config, PCRE):
apt-get install -y automake pkg-config libpcre3-dev
- OS X: Install homebrew, then
brew install automake pkg-config pcre
- FreeBSD: Install automake using ports:
cd /usr/ports/devel/automake && make install...then install dependencies with pkg_add:
pkg_add -r pkg-config pcre
- Windows: It's complicated. See this wiki page.
- Run the build script (which just runs aclocal, automake, etc):
- Make install:
sudo make install
It's quite stable now. Most changes are new features, minor bug fixes, or performance improvements. It's much faster than Ack in my benchmarks.
ack blahblahblah ~/code 6.59s user 1.94s system 99% cpu 8.547 total ag blahblahblah ~/code 1.39s user 1.81s system 229% cpu 1.396 total
You can use Ag with my fork of the popular ackmate plugin, which lets you use both Ack and Ag for searching in Textmate. You can also move or delete
"~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns/AckMate.tmplugin/Contents/Resources/ackmate_ack" and run
ln -s /usr/local/bin/ag "~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns/AckMate.tmplugin/Contents/Resources/ackmate_ack"
You can use Ag with ack.vim by adding the following line to your
let g:ackprg = 'ag --nogroup --nocolor --column'
A special thanks goes out to Alex Davies. He has given me some excellent recommendations to improve Ag. Many of these things are still on my list:
mmap(). Remember that's
- Write a benchmarking script that tweaks various settings to find what's fastest.
- Symlink loop detection.
- Behave better when matching in files with really long lines.
- Report "match found at position X of line N" if line is > 10k chars.
- Windows support
stat()are much slower on Windows. Use
- Support Visual Studio instead of autotools?
- Need to use pthreads-win32 or something similar.