Cliqz for iOS
This branch is for mainline development.
This branch only works with Xcode 10.1 and supports iOS 11 and above.
This branch is written in Swift 4
Please make sure you aim your pull requests in the right direction.
We encourage you to participate in this open source project. We love Pull Requests, Bug Reports, ideas, (security) code reviews or any kind of positive contribution.
Building the code
As of April 2019, this project requires the following versions of dependencies:
- MacOS Mojave
- Xcode 10.1
- Node.js 9
- Cocoapods 1.5.3
Make sure you have homebrew installed:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)" brew update
Then setup the project following these steps:
- Install Xcode 10.1
- Open the .xip archive
- Move Xcode to
- Setup Xcode and install CLI tools with the following commands:
sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app xcode-select --install
- Install Node.js 9 (recommended: use nvm) + latest
npm(this assumes you are using bash as your shell, if not, replace
bashby your shell in the following commands):
brew install curl curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/creationix/nvm/v0.34.0/install.sh | bash source ~/.bashrc nvm install 9 npm install -g npm@latest
- Install Carthage
brew install carthage
- Install Ruby
sudo gem install bundler bundle install
- Install cocoadpods version 1.5.3
sudo gem install cocoapods -v 1.5.3
- Fork the repository https://github.com/ghostery/browser-ios from GitHub UI
- Clone the forked repository + add upstream remote:
git clone https://github.com/YOUR_USERNAME/ghostery-ios cd ghostery-ios git remote add upstream https://github.com/ghostery/browser-ios git fetch upstream git checkout upstream/master git checkout -b my-working-branch
- Pull in the project dependencies:
sh ./bootstrap.sh npm ci npm run bundle-lumen # Or for Ghostery: npm run bundle-ghostery bundle exec pod install npm run postinstall
- Build the
Fennecscheme in Xcode.
Note: When you run
bundle install, you might get following error
An error occurred while installing unf_ext (0.0.7.5), and Bundler cannot continue.. Above error happens with ruby 2.5.1. Just make sure to use 2.5.3 ruby version
rvm use 2.5.3 and problem will be fixed.
Building User Scripts
WKWebView) are compiled, concatenated and minified using webpack. User Scripts to be aggregated are placed in the following directories:
/Client |-- /Frontend |-- /UserContent |-- /UserScripts |-- /AllFrames | |-- /AtDocumentEnd | |-- /AtDocumentStart |-- /MainFrame |-- /AtDocumentEnd |-- /AtDocumentStart
This reduces the total possible number of User Scripts down to four. The compiled output from concatenating and minifying the User Scripts placed in these folders resides in
/Client/Assets and are named accordingly:
To simplify the build process, these compiled files are checked-in to this repository. When adding or editing User Scripts, these files can be re-compiled with
webpack manually. This requires Node.js to be installed and all required
npm packages can be installed by running
npm install in the root directory of the project. User Scripts can be compiled by running the following
npm command in the root directory of the project:
npm run build
- Swift code should generally follow the conventions listed at https://github.com/raywenderlich/swift-style-guide.
- Exception: we use 4-space indentation instead of 2.
- New code should not contain any trailing whitespace.
- We recommend enabling both the "Automatically trim trailing whitespace" and "Including whitespace-only lines" preferences in Xcode (under Text Editing).
git rebase --whitespace=fixcan also be used to remove whitespace from your commits before issuing a pull request.
- Each commit should have a single clear purpose. If a commit contains multiple unrelated changes, those changes should be split into separate commits.
- If a commit requires another commit to build properly, those commits should be squashed.
- Follow-up commits for any review comments should be squashed. Do not include "Fixed PR comments", merge commits, or other "temporary" commits in pull requests.