ginatrapani / dotfiles
Based on & many thanks to holman/dotfiles
There's a few special files in the hierarchy.
- bin/: Anything in
bin/will get added to your
$PATHand be made available everywhere.
- Brewfile: This is a list of applications for Homebrew Cask to install: things like Chrome and 1Password and Atom and stuff. Might want to edit this file before running any initial setup.
- topic/*.zsh: Any files ending in
.zshget loaded into your environment.
- topic/path.zsh: Any file named
path.zshis loaded first and is expected to setup
- topic/completion.zsh: Any file named
completion.zshis loaded last and is expected to setup autocomplete.
- topic/install.sh: Any file named
install.shis executed when you run
script/install. To avoid being loaded automatically, its extension is
- topic/*.symlink: Any file ending in
*.symlinkgets symlinked into your
$HOME. This is so you can keep all of those versioned in your dotfiles but still keep those autoloaded files in your home directory. These get symlinked in when you run
git clone https://github.com/ginatrapani/dotfiles.git ~/.dotfiles cd ~/.dotfiles script/bootstrap
This will symlink the appropriate files in
.dotfiles to your home directory.
Everything is configured and tweaked within
The main file you'll want to change right off the bat is
which sets up a few paths that'll be different on your particular machine.
To install Atom packages, run
atom-package-install. If you install new ones
inside Atom, to back them up to your dotfiles, run
dot is a simple script that installs some dependencies, sets sane macOS
defaults, and so on. Tweak this script, and occasionally run
time to time to keep your environment fresh and up-to-date. You can find
this script in