Mac OS X Dictionary containing Emoji and their meanings
Installing the dictionary
Pick one method of installation: using Dictionaries.app, Terminal, or Finder.
- Download Dictionaries.app and run it
- Click "Add Dictionary"
- Select Emojipedia
- Click "Add"
- Install using homebrew caskroom
brew cask install emojipedia
- Download Emojipedia.dictionary.zip and unzip it
- Launch Dictionary.app
- In Dictionary > Preferences, scroll to the bottom of the list and check the Emojipedia dictionary to enable it
- Optional: drag the Emojipedia dictionary entry to change the order of dictionaries
Using the dictionary
Try looking up the meaning of these emoji as a test:
- Right-click on the emoji and choose the Look Up menu item
(on a track pad you can also use a Three Finger Tap or Force Click)
- Press Cmd+Ctrl+D whilst pointing the mouse cursor at the emoji to display a popup
- Launch Dictionary and type the emoji into the search field
Number of Emoji included: 1791
- Emoji display
- Descriptive name
- Hyperlinked keywords
- Link to read more at Emojipedia
- Add long descriptions and other data provided by Emojipedia
- Add translations
- Add language toggle
Editing the dictionary
The following steps are only required if you wish to modify the dictonary.
Feel free to send Pull Requests for items on the todo list!
Auxiliary Tools for Xcode 7 (contains the Dictionary Development Kit)
- Copy contents of
- Download this project and unzip
- Open Terminal and cd to project directory
build.sh(this will build and install the dictionary)
- In Dictionary > Preferences, scroll to the bottom of the list and activate the Emojipedia dictionary (only required once)