Further exploring the concept of Reinforcement Learning with the Q-Learning algorithm in my blog: https://www.ontdeksels.nl/ontdeksel-14-de-pijlenrace-naar-de-grens/ (Dutch).
This is a small game you might know from high school. It's a 'race' which you can do with your friends with only a piece of graph paper and a pencil. This time however, the algoritm will search for the best route with the Q-learning algorithm.
Your own track
You can upload your own track. Please make sure your track adheres to the following:
- Size: 700x400 pixels
- Track itself is in pure white (#ffffff)
- Start/finish is in pure red (#ff0000) and is a vertical line. The code assumes the initial direction is to the right.
- Rest is in pure black (#000000)
Make sure there is a possible solution, otherwise the algoritm will go on endlessly :)
Tweaking the algoritm
If you're familiar (or want to become familiar) with the parameters you can adjust in Q-leaning, find the following lines of code in the source:
track = new Track( 'track1', // Trackname 100, // Times with a finish before it stops 40, // Initial width of a cell in pixels 0.7, // Epsilon 1, // Learning rate 0.9 // Discout );
If you want to know more about epsilon, learning rate and/or discount: I suggest you play & google around.
If you want to play around with the rewards, these can be easily found in the code. Current settings:
- Crash: -100
- Wrongful finish: -1000 (like one step forward and two steps back)
- Rightful finish: +1000;
- Otherwise valid move: number of steps closer to the finish * 10;