This is the offical plugin for Facebook Connect in Apache Cordova (formerly PhoneGap)!
This is all licensed under MIT except for
app/www/facebook_js_sdk.js which is the Facebook JS SDK and is Apache 2.0.
- PhoneGap (Cordova) v1.5 (For compatibility with older versions of PhoneGap, please download the tag 1.4.1support)
To use this plugin you will need to make sure you've registered your Facebook app with Facebook and have an APP_ID (https://developers.facebook.com/apps). If you plan on rolling this out on Android, please note that you will need to generate a hash of your Android key(s) and submit those to the Developers page on Facebook to get it working. Furthermore, if you are generating this hash on Windows (specifically 64 bit versions), please use version 0.9.8e or 0.9.8d of OpenSSL for Windows and not 0.9.8k. Big ups to fernandomatos for pointing this out!
|-example | `-www | `-index.html |-lib | |-facebook-js-patch | |-facebook_js_sdk.js | |-facebook-android-sdk | `-facebook-ios-sdk |-native | |-android | `-ios `-www `-cdv-plugin-fb-connect.js
lib/facebook-js-patch can be ignored. It is currently not used.
lib/facebook_js_sdk.js is the modified facebook-js-sdk. It already includes the hooks to work with this plugin.
native/ios contain the native code for the plugin for both Android and iOS platforms.
We've provided a few
install scripts to get you rolling pretty quick. PLEASE NOTE: only Android works for the
install scripts at this time.
Download the latest version of PhoneGap (Cordova) from www.phonegap.com.
Create an Android or iOS Cordova project. Let's assume you have this project under
Make sure you pull down all of the submodules by running
git submodule update --init.
Depending what you've got handy, you could:
- ruby (TODO!):
./install ~/phonegap-facebook <platform>
node install.js ~/phonegap-facebook <platform>
- Windows (TODO!):
install.bat ~/phonegap-facebook <platform>
- ruby (TODO!):
In the above,
<platform> represents either "android" or "ios".
If you don't like this script magic, you can always roll up your sleeves and get into the nitty-gritty for the platform of your choice:
In the Cordova Android application you will need to put the following in your
<plugin name="org.apache.cordova.facebook.Connect" value="org.apache.cordova.facebook.ConnectPlugin" />
- First run
git submodule update --initto initialize and pull down the version of the Android Facebook SDK that works with this plugin; it will end up under
- NOTE: I haven't been able to compile the facebook android SDK into a
jar with success. So, I just copied the source into my generated
Cordova application directory and imported the generated Cordova
Android package as an import at the top of FbDialog.java. TODO: Fix this
cd facebook-android-sdk/facebookand run
jar cf facebook-android-sdk.jar src. This will create a
facebook-android-sdk.jarfile that you need to copy into your generated Cordova-Android's
libsdirectory (and also add to your build path).
- First run
From the Cordova Facebook Connect Plugin folder copy the contents of the
native/android/folder into the root of your Cordova Android application.
From the Cordova Facebook Connect Plugin folder copy the
lib/facebook_js_sdk.jsfiles into your application's
Now you are ready to create your application! Check out the
example folder for what the HTML, JS etc looks like. Note that you will need to replace your appId if you use the example index.html file.
You can run the application from either the command line (
ant clean && ant debug install) or from Eclipse.
NOTE: If you are having problems with SBJSON conflicts, download the latest version of git clone the latest cordova-ios code, build the installer, and run the installer to get updated!
- Create a basic Cordova iOS application. See http://www.phonegap.com/start/#ios-x4
- From the Cordova Facebook Connect Plugin folder copy the contents of the native/ios folder into your app in Xcode (usually in the Plugins folder group). Make sure it is added as a "group" (yellow folder)
- Find the Cordova.plist file in the project navigator, expand the "Plugins" sub-tree, and add a new entry. For the key, add org.apache.cordova.facebook.Connect, and its value will be FacebookConnectPlugin
- From the Cordova Facebook Connect Plugin folder copy the contents of the www folder into the www directory in Xcode (don't forget to add script tags in your index.html to reference any .js files copied over). If you do not find a www folder in Xcode, create one and copy the cordova-[RELEASE].js file from /Users/Shared/Cordova/Frameworks/Cordova.framework/www into the folder you just created.
- For Xcode 4, you will need to build it once, and heed the warning - this is an Xcode 4 template limitation. The warning instructions will tell you to drag copy the www folder into the project in Xcode (add as a folder reference which is a blue folder).
- Under the group Supporting Files, find your [PROJECTNAME]-Info.plist, right-click on the file and select Open As -> Source Code, add the URL Scheme from the section below (you will need your Facebook APP_ID)
- Run git submodule update --init to initialize and pull down the versions of the JS and iOS Facebook SDKs that work with this plugin; they will end up under lib/.
- From the Cordova Facebook Connect Plugin folder copy the file lib/facebook_js_sdk.js into the www directory in Xcode (don't forget to add script tags in your index.html to reference the .js file copied over)
lib/facebook-ios-sdkRemove facebook-ios-sdk.xcodeproj and facebook_ios_sdk_Prefix.pch files. Drag the src folder into your project under Plugins folder and make sure it is added as a "group" (yellow folder)
- Click on your project's icon (the root element) in Project Navigator, select your Target, then the Build Settings tab, search for Header Search Paths.
- Add the value /Users/Shared/Cordova/Frameworks/Cordova.framework/Headers
- Add the Facebook domains to the ExternalHosts lists, as described below.
- Copy the index.html from example folder in Cordova Facebook Connect Plugin and add appid to init function
- Run the application in Xcode.
The Facebook SDK will try to access various URLs, and their domains must be whitelisted in your Cordova.plist under ExternalHosts.
You can either add each subdomain separately:
Or you can allow all domains with:
Make sure you add the scheme to your [PROJECTNAME]-Info.plist (located as one of the files in your Xcode project), substitute [APP_ID] and [SCHEME_ID] below to the appropriate values. This is to handle the re-direct from Mobile Safari or the Facebook app, after permission authorization.
- [SCHEME_ID] is usually a unique identifier for the scheme, in reverse domain name notation (i.e com.facebook.phonegap.myscheme)
- [APP_ID] is the Facebook app id given by Facebook
<key>CFBundleURLTypes</key> <array> <dict> <key>CFBundleURLName</key> <string>[SCHEME_ID]</string> <key>CFBundleURLSchemes</key> <array> <string>fb[APP_ID]</string> </array> </dict> </array>