Symfony Empty Edition
A skeleton allowing you to create an empty Symfony application: it is provided without any libraries or bundles (except for Symfony's FrameworkBundle).
You can then start building on it, and install the dependencies you need.
Note: The Symfony Standard Edition provides a big set of libraries and bundles (database, email, templating, etc). If you don't feel comfortable with picking your own yet, you should probably use it.
Use Composer to create a new application:
composer create-project gnugat/symfony-empty-edition my-project
Differences with the Standard Edition
- Only 2 bundles:
symfony/framework-bundle, add the ones you really need
- Only 1 front controller (
web/app.php), change the environment using the
- No annotations (can be brought back by installing
There are many real world use cases for this distribution. Here's a small selection:
- tailored made applications: for applications that require "non standard" dependencies (e.g. Propel or Pomm for the database, etc)
- micro applications: for applications that don't need database, templating or mailing systems (Symfony can be a Micro Framework)
- legacy migrations: for applications that need to depend on legacy database, templating, etc while migrating to symfony
- teaching material: better explained here