Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
What is Gobby?
Gobby is a multi-platform collaborative text editor. It allows multiple users to edit the same document together over the internet in real-time. It supports the following features:
- Runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X
- Full-fledged text editing capabilities including syntax highlighting using GtkSourceView
- Real-time, lock-free collaborative text editing
- Integrated group chat
- Group undo: Undo does not affect changes of remote users
- Shows cursors and selections of remote participants
- Highlights text written by different users with different colors
- Full Unicode support
- Zeroconf support (Linux-only at the moment)
- Encrypted data transfer including perfect forward secrecy (PFS)
- Sessions can be password-protected
- Sophisticated access control with Access Control Lists (ACLs)
- A highly configurable [dedicated server](Dedicated Server)
- Licensed under GPLv2+ and ISC
In order to get started, connectivity between the computers that plan to collaborate needs to be established. When they are in the same Wi-Fi network, Gobby usually lists the other computers running Gobby automatically on Linux. This feature is not available at the moment for Windows and Mac OS X. By pressing Ctrl+T or selecting the "Connect To Server" option in the menu, a connection can be made manually when the hostname or IP address of the other computer is known.
More technical users might want to run their own dedicated gobby server.