While creating a chrome extension, I usually copy-paste commonly used files such as manifest files, Bootstrap, jQuery from an old project. I hope many fellow devs would have done this 😉. No more copy-paste!. Just do
baby-chrome <name of your baby>, get your Chrome extension project scaffolded!
yes, you are right...
npm install baby-chrome -g
baby-chrome <name of your baby>
On this command, you will be presented with a checkbox menu to choose the nature of your chrome extension such as, will the extension need to run on background, do you need jquery etc.,
Choose the appropriate options and click enter. That's it, start working on your extension right away!
Dev Setup 💻
Once the project folder is generated,
- Open Google Chrome and navigate to chrome://extensions/
- Click on the button saying 'Load unpacked extension'
- Choose the generated extension project and Click 'OK'. On clicking 'OK', extension will be loaded
- Ensure that the 'Enable' checkbox is checked
- At this moment, you should see an extension icon left to the address bar. Click on the icon to open the extension
NOTE: If you edit any extension's background or content file, click on the 'Reload' link (cmd+R / cntrl+R) to get the changes. Popup file will get updated automatically on reopening the extension.
Need more Automation? Let's work together to get that done 😉