As part of https://golang.org/s/better-linker, we now build a binary called oldlink in our release of Go. While it may be useful to include in the beta, we should make a decision on whether this is included in the RC or final releases of Go 1.15, vs asking people to rebuild it on their own if necessary.
I think it's a good idea to include this in the beta. While our internal testing gets good coverage of certain configurations, it doesn't get very good coverage of others, and shipping this in the beta will help with any problems uncovered there.
However, the new linker roll out has been going really smoothly so far. Assuming the beta doesn't uncover any serious linker issues, I'd be inclined to leave oldlink out of the RC.
It was really @toothrot 's suggestion, so I think we're all in agreement. :)
The path to resolution is known, but the work has not been done.
Used by release team to mark a release-blocker issue as okay to resolve either before or after beta1
Feedback is required from experts, contributors, and/or the community before a change can be made.
Jun 17, 2020
changed the title
x/build/cmd/release: decide whether to include oldlink binary in releaseJun 18, 2020