Windows Integration overview
Windows Client Code
The Windows client code is in the
src/client/windows directory of the tree.
Since the header files are fairly well commented some specifics are purposely
omitted from this document.
Integration of minidump-generation
Once you build the solution inside
src/client/windows, an output file of
exception_handler.lib will be generated. You can either check this into your
project's directory or build directly from the source, as the project itself
Enabling Breakpad in your application requires you to
#include "exception_handler.h" and instantiate the
ExceptionHandler object like so:
handler = new ExceptionHandler(const wstring& dump_path, FilterCallback filter, MinidumpCallback callback, void* callback_context, int handler_types, MINIDUMP_TYPE dump_type, const wchar_t* pipe_name, const CustomClientInfo* custom_info);
The parameters, in order, are:
- pathname for minidumps to be written to - this is ignored if OOP dump generation is used
- A callback that is called when the exception is first handled - you can return true/false here to continue/stop exception processing
- A callback that is called after minidumps have been written
- Context for the callbacks
- Which exceptions to handle - see
HandlerTypeenumeration in exception_handler.h
- The type of minidump to generate, using the
- A pipe name that can be used to communicate with a crash generation server
- A pointer to a CustomClientInfo class that can be used to send custom data along with the minidump when using OOP generation
You can also see
src/client/windows/tests/crash_generation_app/* for a sample
app that uses OOP generation.
OOP Minidump Generation
For out of process minidump generation, more work is needed. If you look inside
src/client/windows/crash_generation, you will see a file called
crash_generation_server.h. This file is the interface for a crash generation
server, which must be instantiated with the same pipe name that is passed to the
client above. The logistics of running a separate process that instantiates the
crash generation server is left up to you, however.
Build process specifics(symbol generation, upload)
The symbol creation step is talked about in the general overview doc, since it doesn't vary much by platform. You'll need to make sure that the symbols are available wherever minidumps are uploaded to for processing.
Out in the field - uploading the minidump
src/client/windows/sender is a class implementation called
CrashReportSender. This class can be compiled into a separate standalone CLI
or in the crash generation server and used to upload the report; it can know
when to do so via one of the callbacks provided by the
ExceptionHandler object for in-process generation.