Make Open Easy
MOE is a system for synchronizing, translating, and scrubbing source code repositories. Often, a project needs to exist in two forms, typically because it is released in open-source, which may use a different build system, only be a subset of the wider project, etc. Maintaining code in two repositories is burdensome. MOE allows users to:
- synchronize (in either or both directions) between two source code repositories
- use different types of repositories (svn, hg, git) in combinations
- maintain "scrubbed" content in an internal or private repository.
- transform project paths to support different layouts/structures in different repositories
- propagate or hide individual commits, commit-authorship, and other metadata between repositories while syncing.
MOE was created around 2011, but has not had a lot of love. Google teams that maintain open-source releases (guava, dagger, auto, etc.) use it regularly, so we dusted it off to share fixes, improvements, and help folks who use it outside of Google.
The project is currently undergoing a fair bit of re-factoring and needs a documentation update, which is forthcoming.
- Install Apache Maven 3.1 if you don't already have it
2. Checkout the Java-MOE source
git clone email@example.com:google/MOE.git3. In the top-level directory that contains the build.xml file, run:
- The moe client binary should be created at
Once you have the
moe binary, you should be able to simply run:
moe <arguments for MOE>
Contributing to MOE is subject to the guidelines in the CONTRIBUTING.md file, which, in brief, requires that contributors sign the Individual Contributor License Agreement (CLA).
Copyright 2011 Google, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.