Android Key Attestation Sample
This sample illustrates how to use the Bouncy Castle ASN.1 parser to extract information from an Android attestation data structure to verify that a key pair has been generated in an Android device. This sample demonstrates how to verify a certificate on a server.
This example demonstrates the following tasks:
- Loading the certificates from PEM-encoded strings.
- Verifying the X.509 certificate chain, up to the root. Note that this example does NOT require the root certificate to appear within Google's list of root certificates. However, if you're verifying the properties of hardware-backed keys on a device that ships with hardware-level key attestation, Android 7.0 (API level 24) or higher, and Google Play services, your production code should enforce this requirement.
- Extracting the attestation extension data from the attestation certificate.
- Verifying (and printing) several important data elements from the attestation extension.
For more information about the process of extracting attestation certificate extension data, as well as the extension data schema, see the Key Attestation Android developer training article.
Note that this sample demonstrates the verification of a certificate on a server and not on the Android framework. Although you can test the certificate and extensions directly on a device, it is safer to run these checks on a separate server you can trust.
- Up-to-date Java JDK
- Bouncy Castle Cryptography Java APIs (included as dependency in gradle build configuration).
This sample uses the Gradle build system. To build this project, use the
gradlew build command or use "Import Project" in IntelliJ or Android Studio.
Run the main method in
KeyAttestationExample directly or use the
gradlew run task to execute
- Google+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105153134372062985968
- Stack Overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/android
If you've found an error in this sample, please file an issue: https://github.com/googlesamples/android-key-attestation
Patches are encouraged, and may be submitted by forking this project and submitting a pull request through GitHub. Please see CONTRIBUTING.md for more details.
Copyright 2016, The Android Open Source Project, Inc.
Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed with this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership. The ASF licenses this file to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.