Blocking mode: easy mode
This is uBlock Origin (uBO)'s default mode.
Roughly similar to using Adblock Plus with many filter lists.
Ads are blocked through EasyList and Peter Lowe’s Ad server list, and privacy exposure is reduced through the use of EasyPrivacy. Some malware filter lists are selected by default. Also, uBO's own filter lists are selected as complement to the selected 3rd-party filter lists.
This mode is suitable for those who are concerned about reducing their privacy exposure, but yet still prefer an install-and-forget approach.
- Low likelihood of web pages being broken.
- Web pages should load somewhat faster compared to the very easy mode.
- I am an advanced user: unchecked.
3rd-party filters pane:
- All of uBO's custom filter lists: checked
- EasyList: checked
- Peter Lowe’s Ad server list: checked
- EasyPrivacy: checked
- Online Malicious URL Blocklist: checked
- All other filter lists: unchecked
You can significantly augment the blocking power in easy mode by merely enabling more filter lists. If you add more filter lists, keep in mind:
- the more filter lists one uses, the higher the probability of web page breakage.
- not all filter lists are of good quality:
- some may cause too much web page breakage.
- some may result in some network requests to unexpectedly become unblocked (example).
Another even better way to augment blocking power in easy mode is to enable "I am an advanced user" from the Settings pane in the dashboard, and block specific 3rd parties using dynamic filtering -- i.e. essentially using dynamic filtering in default-allow mode. For example, one could choose to globally block
facebook.net in order to prevent Facebook from being able to track you wherever you go, except on Facebook. Globally blocking ubiquitous hostnames except on their respective websites is a very easy way to reduce significantly privacy exposure.
uBlock Origin - An efficient blocker for Chromium and Firefox. Fast and lean.
- Wiki home
- The popup user interface
- Settings pane
- Filter lists pane
- My filters pane
- My rules pane
- Trusted sites pane
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Code viewer
- The logger
- Element picker
- Element zapper
- Blocking mode
- Strict blocking
- Overview of uBlock's network filtering engine
- Tools, tests
- Deploying uBlock Origin