This is a small project to add IoT sensor data to Home Assistant utilising cheap ESP8266 modules
Software side is now more easily covered by ESP Home
- Deep sleep so the board does not heat up and effect sensor readings.
- MQTT to send data.
- Based off wemos dev boards.
- Cases for 3d printing based on this template by Andreas Spiess.
- PlatformIO for build
|Controller||D1 Mini light||$3 AliExpress|
|Sensor||SHT30 Shield||$2.3 AliExpress|
- Connect the two boards together using headers
- Connect RST to D0 this will allow the board to wake up from deep sleep
- Print case (you may need to modify the stl if your usb cable has a very thick plug)
- Edit code to add ssid mqtt server name etc
- Setup config in HA (see below)
Home Assistant setup
For a sensor named
ESP_SENSOR_11 add the following to your
sensor: - name: ESP_SENSOR_11 temperature platform: mqtt device_class: temperature state_topic: ESP_SENSOR_11/temperature unit_of_measurement: °C - name: ESP_SENSOR_11 humidity platform: mqtt device_class: humidity state_topic: ESP_SENSOR_11/humidity unit_of_measurement: '%'