This repository has been archived by the owner. It is now read-only.

change the name from gittip to something else #138

Closed
chadwhitacre opened this Issue Jul 12, 2012 · 181 comments

Comments

Projects
None yet
@chadwhitacre
Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 12, 2012

The word "git" is somewhat problematic because of its association with GitHub and programming. The word "tip" is non-ideal because restaurant tips aren't really gifts. There's a ticket about changing the nomenclature we use from tipper and tippee to donor and donee (#136). This ticket is about rebranding the whole site.


The best alternative in my (not large) stable is:

https://whoever.im/

How does that look to you? I think it's not bad, for a personal funding platform. I think it's pretty strong, actually. "Whoever I am" rolls off the tongue easier than "Gittip," and it evokes personhood and freedom. I checked whoeveriam.com, and unfortunately it is taken but unused. Meh.

A bigger deal for me is that with Heroku we can't use https://whoever.im/, only https://www.whoever.im/. That is, "[n]aked domains (also known as bare or apex domains) are not supported." They used to be called IP SSL and cost $100/mo, but that's now deprecated. Here's the details on why. We would have to choose, and my inclination honestly would be to leave the warmth and comfort of Heroku, in order to look more like https://github.com/ and https://twitter.com/. :-(

@steveklabnik

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@steveklabnik

steveklabnik Jul 12, 2012

You can do what I do with my book project: have a home page at whoever.im, click signup, it goes to secure.whoever.im

You can do what I do with my book project: have a home page at whoever.im, click signup, it goes to secure.whoever.im

@jezdez

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@jezdez

jezdez Jul 12, 2012

Have a look at the ALIAS record from dnsimple for the "naked domains": http://blog.dnsimple.com/introducing-the-alias-record/

jezdez commented Jul 12, 2012

Have a look at the ALIAS record from dnsimple for the "naked domains": http://blog.dnsimple.com/introducing-the-alias-record/

@mitsuhiko

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@mitsuhiko

mitsuhiko Jul 12, 2012

There are more problems with naked domains than just dns. It's the www. prefix really that bad?

There are more problems with naked domains than just dns. It's the www. prefix really that bad?

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 12, 2012

Contributor

@steveklabnik, @jezdez Cool, thank you for the suggestions.

Is the www. prefix really that bad?

Dunno ... what other problems are there? :)

Also, this is sort of secondary. The main question is whether the Gittip brand is fundamentally flawed.

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 12, 2012

@steveklabnik, @jezdez Cool, thank you for the suggestions.

Is the www. prefix really that bad?

Dunno ... what other problems are there? :)

Also, this is sort of secondary. The main question is whether the Gittip brand is fundamentally flawed.

@mitsuhiko

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@mitsuhiko

mitsuhiko Jul 12, 2012

CNAMEs not working on that level, very limited cookie control (can't have cookies just for the www. part), it's harder to recognize urls with the scheme removed, wildcard ssl certificates don't work for the naked domain etc. All things considered it's just a lot more hassle for not showing for bytes to the user.

CNAMEs not working on that level, very limited cookie control (can't have cookies just for the www. part), it's harder to recognize urls with the scheme removed, wildcard ssl certificates don't work for the naked domain etc. All things considered it's just a lot more hassle for not showing for bytes to the user.

@whitmo

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@whitmo

whitmo Jul 12, 2012

+1. though I would pick a name that is still tip / gift related.

and... maybe eventually add a way to pay toward an actual gift vs. simply payments (yeah yeah, patches welcome). I make the point because I think it would be interesting to add a complement the BM idea of a currency free "gift" economy. Not exclusively, just as an option.

whitmo commented Jul 12, 2012

+1. though I would pick a name that is still tip / gift related.

and... maybe eventually add a way to pay toward an actual gift vs. simply payments (yeah yeah, patches welcome). I make the point because I think it would be interesting to add a complement the BM idea of a currency free "gift" economy. Not exclusively, just as an option.

@mitsuhiko

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@mitsuhiko

mitsuhiko Jul 13, 2012

What about “periodic” as a name?

What about “periodic” as a name?

@timothyfcook

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@timothyfcook

timothyfcook Jul 13, 2012

Contributor

whoever.im is okay. not quite right though.

It seems like .do domains are now available.

give.do is available. "Give me support so I can Do xyz"
or giveto.do

Or, similar to your suggestion. whateveri.do is available

Other Ideas:

letme.do
thank.do
soican.do
goodto.do
letus.do

Contributor

timothyfcook commented Jul 13, 2012

whoever.im is okay. not quite right though.

It seems like .do domains are now available.

give.do is available. "Give me support so I can Do xyz"
or giveto.do

Or, similar to your suggestion. whateveri.do is available

Other Ideas:

letme.do
thank.do
soican.do
goodto.do
letus.do

@joeyespo

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@joeyespo

joeyespo Jul 14, 2012

Contributor

What about hinting at open source somehow? http://opentip.com or http://opengift.com. Might even be able to play more on the word 'open' here, even though tips are largely anonymous. Tie it back into the open company you're aiming for.

Now, is the focus on those who want to tip or those receiving them? The latter is a shift. It would be something you the hacker would want to share. Whereas the current name 'Gittip' sounds more for those seeking to give the tip.

I do like the 'periodic'/'recurring' idea. That would make for a good tool to follow Kickstarter with. Kickstarter to get initial funding and demand. Continued with [new Gittip name here].

Contributor

joeyespo commented Jul 14, 2012

What about hinting at open source somehow? http://opentip.com or http://opengift.com. Might even be able to play more on the word 'open' here, even though tips are largely anonymous. Tie it back into the open company you're aiming for.

Now, is the focus on those who want to tip or those receiving them? The latter is a shift. It would be something you the hacker would want to share. Whereas the current name 'Gittip' sounds more for those seeking to give the tip.

I do like the 'periodic'/'recurring' idea. That would make for a good tool to follow Kickstarter with. Kickstarter to get initial funding and demand. Continued with [new Gittip name here].

@joeyespo

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@joeyespo

joeyespo Jul 14, 2012

Contributor

Another one. It's for sale, though unfortunately not for cheap: http://fund.me

Maybe something along those lines though? http://tip.me is also taken, but not actively used.

Contributor

joeyespo commented Jul 14, 2012

Another one. It's for sale, though unfortunately not for cheap: http://fund.me

Maybe something along those lines though? http://tip.me is also taken, but not actively used.

@chrismdp

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment

Slightly boring but something like http://openfund.com?

http://freeme.to
http://freemeto.be
http://freemetobe.com
(all available) ?

@chrismdp

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chrismdp

chrismdp Jul 15, 2012

Or something around the word "grant"? Minigrant? Microgrant? Crowdgrant?

Or something around the word "grant"? Minigrant? Microgrant? Crowdgrant?

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 26, 2012

Contributor

View from Australia (via HN):

Historically, Australians don't tip. During much of the the 20th century Australia had quite a strong (relative to the US) tradition of socialism and unionism, resulting in a strong set of minimum employment conditions. There was very much a view that a decent living wage was an entitlement and a matter of dignity, not something that a worker should have to stoop to collect. People didn't tip, since the common perception was that the potential tipee was as equally entitled to a minimum wage as the potential tipper. Indeed, I'd say that people actively didn't tip as an act of homage to equality.

Tipping is probably more common today than in the past, and the above is being eroded, but I think the above is still generally true. A tip is rarely expected, or let on to be expected, as that is a sure fire way not to get a tip.

I mention the above, in the supposition that it has connotations for a site like gittip that liberally uses the word "tipping". Some cultures don't do tipping. As an Australian, I'd be more inclined if the idea of compensation was being sold on a "equity" (as in fairness) basis rather than a giving basis. I know it's semantics, but semantics does influence decisions.

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 26, 2012

View from Australia (via HN):

Historically, Australians don't tip. During much of the the 20th century Australia had quite a strong (relative to the US) tradition of socialism and unionism, resulting in a strong set of minimum employment conditions. There was very much a view that a decent living wage was an entitlement and a matter of dignity, not something that a worker should have to stoop to collect. People didn't tip, since the common perception was that the potential tipee was as equally entitled to a minimum wage as the potential tipper. Indeed, I'd say that people actively didn't tip as an act of homage to equality.

Tipping is probably more common today than in the past, and the above is being eroded, but I think the above is still generally true. A tip is rarely expected, or let on to be expected, as that is a sure fire way not to get a tip.

I mention the above, in the supposition that it has connotations for a site like gittip that liberally uses the word "tipping". Some cultures don't do tipping. As an Australian, I'd be more inclined if the idea of compensation was being sold on a "equity" (as in fairness) basis rather than a giving basis. I know it's semantics, but semantics does influence decisions.

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 26, 2012

Contributor

Another view from Australia (same HN thread):

The American "I am obliged to give you a tip because minimum wage sucks" doesn't seem to be what gittip is about. In fact, it's much closer to the Australian idea "I am giving you more money because of your impressive performance, and I want to say thanks".

In Australia, I tip when service is awesome. In America, I tip when service isn't absolutely terrible.

Full disclosure: I am Australian

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 26, 2012

Another view from Australia (same HN thread):

The American "I am obliged to give you a tip because minimum wage sucks" doesn't seem to be what gittip is about. In fact, it's much closer to the Australian idea "I am giving you more money because of your impressive performance, and I want to say thanks".

In Australia, I tip when service is awesome. In America, I tip when service isn't absolutely terrible.

Full disclosure: I am Australian

@jturnshek

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@jturnshek

jturnshek Jul 26, 2012

Hey Chad, we haven't met yet but I hope to soon...

autograt.com

Servers in restaurants call the automatically included gratuity for large parties an "autograt". I'll leave you to reason through the implications. I actually think it's incredibly well aligned.

I just reserved the domain in case you want it.

Hey Chad, we haven't met yet but I hope to soon...

autograt.com

Servers in restaurants call the automatically included gratuity for large parties an "autograt". I'll leave you to reason through the implications. I actually think it's incredibly well aligned.

I just reserved the domain in case you want it.

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 26, 2012

Contributor

Thanks @turnshek, for the intro, thoughts, and domain reservation. :-)

Was actually coming over here to say that I just bought:

http://www.gfftd.com/

I also reserved @gfftd on Twitter and GitHub. Has the advantage of probably still working with @dmdj03's design over on #66.

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 26, 2012

Thanks @turnshek, for the intro, thoughts, and domain reservation. :-)

Was actually coming over here to say that I just bought:

http://www.gfftd.com/

I also reserved @gfftd on Twitter and GitHub. Has the advantage of probably still working with @dmdj03's design over on #66.

@timothyfcook

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@timothyfcook

timothyfcook Jul 26, 2012

Contributor

why two 'f' s if gfftd.com ?

autoGrat.com is kinda nice.

You could still have the (G) logo, since "Grat" is the functional word there.

it almost sounds familiar

makes me think of autocrat / autocracy, which is a very different sort of meaning.
also makes me think of autograph, which is irrelevant.

Contributor

timothyfcook commented Jul 26, 2012

why two 'f' s if gfftd.com ?

autoGrat.com is kinda nice.

You could still have the (G) logo, since "Grat" is the functional word there.

it almost sounds familiar

makes me think of autocrat / autocracy, which is a very different sort of meaning.
also makes me think of autograph, which is irrelevant.

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 26, 2012

Contributor

Two effs because the domain wasn't available in other variants.

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 26, 2012

Two effs because the domain wasn't available in other variants.

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 26, 2012

Contributor

Also, gifted.com is taken but not used. Down the road we could have a shot at it.

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 26, 2012

Also, gifted.com is taken but not used. Down the road we could have a shot at it.

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 26, 2012

Contributor

In the mean time there's also http://gifted.im/.

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 26, 2012

In the mean time there's also http://gifted.im/.

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 26, 2012

Contributor

Oh, well. My latest moment of name-changing insanity has passed. Back to Gittip.com for now. :-)

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 26, 2012

Oh, well. My latest moment of name-changing insanity has passed. Back to Gittip.com for now. :-)

@psineur

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@psineur

psineur Jul 26, 2012

Few! Saw tweet about gfftd (sounds like pfff), thank god you don't want to rename to it.
Other suggestions:
gifttip
gifthub

psineur commented Jul 26, 2012

Few! Saw tweet about gfftd (sounds like pfff), thank god you don't want to rename to it.
Other suggestions:
gifttip
gifthub

@pfrazee

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@pfrazee

pfrazee Jul 26, 2012

openwire
freewire
fosswire

pfrazee commented Jul 26, 2012

openwire
freewire
fosswire

@jturnshek

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@jturnshek

jturnshek Jul 26, 2012

Hey no problem, you can never have too many domain names. D:

I like that "autograt" is already in the common lexicon and essentially describes the literal function of the service, but it's really the "gratuity" part that I think is worth mulling over. It's likely the closest a single term can come to the spirit of what you're trying to do here.

Whatever you go with, just make sure it makes sense for street fashion photographers, community organizers, font creators, or business bloggers. The foss / programmery stuff is probably the wrong direction.

Hey no problem, you can never have too many domain names. D:

I like that "autograt" is already in the common lexicon and essentially describes the literal function of the service, but it's really the "gratuity" part that I think is worth mulling over. It's likely the closest a single term can come to the spirit of what you're trying to do here.

Whatever you go with, just make sure it makes sense for street fashion photographers, community organizers, font creators, or business bloggers. The foss / programmery stuff is probably the wrong direction.

@strand

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@strand

strand Jul 30, 2012

Contributor

opengrant.com is available.

Contributor

strand commented Jul 30, 2012

opengrant.com is available.

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 31, 2012

Contributor

@turnshek Good reminder re: broader appeal. Could you say more about how {Gittip} can work for non-programmery folks? I want to take it in that direction (#80) but obviously I'm programmery so input from a different perspective is welcome.

@strand I think opengrant.com is pretty strong. The "crowd-sourced genius grants for the rest of us" hook has seemed to work for a lot of people. A grant falls clearly in the category of "gift" without the question mark that "tip" introduces. What I really like, though, is that it emphasizes the aggregate and not the individual contribution. The "grant" is the crowd's gift of $1,000 per week to a person, whereas a "gift tip" is just my $1 per week contribution. The power is in the aggregation.

I bought opengrant.com and opengrant.org.

Perspectives on OpenGrant?

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 31, 2012

@turnshek Good reminder re: broader appeal. Could you say more about how {Gittip} can work for non-programmery folks? I want to take it in that direction (#80) but obviously I'm programmery so input from a different perspective is welcome.

@strand I think opengrant.com is pretty strong. The "crowd-sourced genius grants for the rest of us" hook has seemed to work for a lot of people. A grant falls clearly in the category of "gift" without the question mark that "tip" introduces. What I really like, though, is that it emphasizes the aggregate and not the individual contribution. The "grant" is the crowd's gift of $1,000 per week to a person, whereas a "gift tip" is just my $1 per week contribution. The power is in the aggregation.

I bought opengrant.com and opengrant.org.

Perspectives on OpenGrant?

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 31, 2012

Contributor

OpenGrant works for both individuals and groups. An organization or group or project (see #27) can receive a grant as well as an individual.

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 31, 2012

OpenGrant works for both individuals and groups. An organization or group or project (see #27) can receive a grant as well as an individual.

@ironfroggy

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@ironfroggy

ironfroggy Jul 31, 2012

At first "opengrant" didn't really sound right, but your explanation @whit537 makes a lot of sense.

At first "opengrant" didn't really sound right, but your explanation @whit537 makes a lot of sense.

@steveklabnik

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@steveklabnik

steveklabnik Jul 31, 2012

👍 opengrant.org, I like it a lot.

👍 opengrant.org, I like it a lot.

@kennethreitz

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@kennethreitz

kennethreitz Jul 31, 2012

Contributor

opengrant sounds amazing

Contributor

kennethreitz commented Jul 31, 2012

opengrant sounds amazing

@chmullig

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chmullig

chmullig Jul 31, 2012

+1 opengrant, if you're changing the name.

Are people thinking .org or .com? I like .org because it suggests that opengrant's business isn't to make money directly. However I like .com since the point is the transfer of money to individuals, which is commercey...

+1 opengrant, if you're changing the name.

Are people thinking .org or .com? I like .org because it suggests that opengrant's business isn't to make money directly. However I like .com since the point is the transfer of money to individuals, which is commercey...

@kennethreitz

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@kennethreitz

kennethreitz Jul 31, 2012

Contributor

That is, assuming this will become a non-profit organization.

Contributor

kennethreitz commented Jul 31, 2012

That is, assuming this will become a non-profit organization.

@brandon-rhodes

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@brandon-rhodes

brandon-rhodes Jul 31, 2012

I suspect that “grant” is a poor choice that will limit attention because of its very narrow meaning: grants, in normal English, are made by governments, not individuals; they are created for some specific purpose, different nonprofits compete in a grant-writing process to argue that they can fulfill the grant's mandate, and then one of them gets the money; and they have to be able to survive an audit later to show that the money really went toward the stated grant purpose.

In other words, a “grant” has to be spent on something specific. Anyone at a University or government, at least, would assume that “opengrant” made it easier for non-profits to browse and then apply for specifically-earmarked monies.

The word, then, would obscure the fact that individuals can participate on either end of the “granting” operation, and — more importantly — would imply that people are promising to do something specific with the money in the future (like, “Kenneth MUST do more work on requests with this grant, he can't use it for beer or some other module”), whereas this weekend you strongly indicated that these monies are to serve as the thanks we give each other for how useful the things are that we have ALREADY created in the past.

I suspect that “grant” is a poor choice that will limit attention because of its very narrow meaning: grants, in normal English, are made by governments, not individuals; they are created for some specific purpose, different nonprofits compete in a grant-writing process to argue that they can fulfill the grant's mandate, and then one of them gets the money; and they have to be able to survive an audit later to show that the money really went toward the stated grant purpose.

In other words, a “grant” has to be spent on something specific. Anyone at a University or government, at least, would assume that “opengrant” made it easier for non-profits to browse and then apply for specifically-earmarked monies.

The word, then, would obscure the fact that individuals can participate on either end of the “granting” operation, and — more importantly — would imply that people are promising to do something specific with the money in the future (like, “Kenneth MUST do more work on requests with this grant, he can't use it for beer or some other module”), whereas this weekend you strongly indicated that these monies are to serve as the thanks we give each other for how useful the things are that we have ALREADY created in the past.

@jlkeiper

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@jlkeiper

jlkeiper Jul 31, 2012

-1 on using "grant". "tip" is good. I would think these might be cool (no idea if they are taken):

  • tip4code.com
  • tip.me
  • tipacoder.com
  • codetip.com
  • tipper.com (does Al Gore own that one?)
  • tipstream.com

-1 on using "grant". "tip" is good. I would think these might be cool (no idea if they are taken):

  • tip4code.com
  • tip.me
  • tipacoder.com
  • codetip.com
  • tipper.com (does Al Gore own that one?)
  • tipstream.com
@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 31, 2012

Contributor

@mitechie and @hansent point out that OpenGrant puts pressure on us to widen beyond GitHub, which is indeed something I think we want to do anyway (#80). Good call:

The day a second service works I'd go for the rebrand and hit the news trail like mad with it though. It's a good new name.

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 31, 2012

@mitechie and @hansent point out that OpenGrant puts pressure on us to widen beyond GitHub, which is indeed something I think we want to do anyway (#80). Good call:

The day a second service works I'd go for the rebrand and hit the news trail like mad with it though. It's a good new name.

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 31, 2012

Contributor

@jlkeiper Say more? I like grant because it emphasizes the aggregate, whereas tip emphasizes the individual contributions that in and of themselves aren't that interesting. Also note that we don't want to lock ourselves into "coders." See @turnshek's comments above and also #80.

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 31, 2012

@jlkeiper Say more? I like grant because it emphasizes the aggregate, whereas tip emphasizes the individual contributions that in and of themselves aren't that interesting. Also note that we don't want to lock ourselves into "coders." See @turnshek's comments above and also #80.

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 31, 2012

Contributor

@kennethreitz See #101 for registering {Gittip} as a charity.

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 31, 2012

@kennethreitz See #101 for registering {Gittip} as a charity.

@joeyespo

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@joeyespo

joeyespo Jul 31, 2012

Contributor

+1 for opengrant.org. Would you redirect opengrant.com to it?

Contributor

joeyespo commented Jul 31, 2012

+1 for opengrant.org. Would you redirect opengrant.com to it?

@pfrazee

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@pfrazee

pfrazee Jul 31, 2012

+1 grant. It feels like what's happening is a grant: a crowd charter to pursue work with a social (rather than fiscal) return. Good vibe; clear roots in an existing practice.

pfrazee commented Jul 31, 2012

+1 grant. It feels like what's happening is a grant: a crowd charter to pursue work with a social (rather than fiscal) return. Good vibe; clear roots in an existing practice.

@hansent

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@hansent

hansent Jul 31, 2012

-1 for fundhub (right now...I don't think changing the name/brand just as it's getting traction is a good idea!! )
(+1 for funhub a little further down the road (maybe once a certain m,ilestone is reached), or redirecting to gittip for now)

hansent commented Jul 31, 2012

-1 for fundhub (right now...I don't think changing the name/brand just as it's getting traction is a good idea!! )
(+1 for funhub a little further down the road (maybe once a certain m,ilestone is reached), or redirecting to gittip for now)

@evenality

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@evenality

evenality Jul 31, 2012

+1 for fundhub with some reservations. It is a better name than gittip. But I think there might still be a better choice out there. Also, just adding to the noise but it would be nice to put on "to do later" list to pursue acquisition of the .com .

+1 for fundhub with some reservations. It is a better name than gittip. But I think there might still be a better choice out there. Also, just adding to the noise but it would be nice to put on "to do later" list to pursue acquisition of the .com .

@evenality

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@evenality

evenality Jul 31, 2012

@hansent does have a good point. What if ...gittip is kept for the time being to get a solid foundation in place (billing, tax/accounting implications, payouts, etc) and then when ready to rebrand to fundhub(for all types of users) use that as the push to MARKET MARKET MARKET.

@hansent does have a good point. What if ...gittip is kept for the time being to get a solid foundation in place (billing, tax/accounting implications, payouts, etc) and then when ready to rebrand to fundhub(for all types of users) use that as the push to MARKET MARKET MARKET.

@ironfroggy

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@ironfroggy

ironfroggy Jul 31, 2012

Move me to -0 for "fundhub". I don't dislike it as much as I first
did, but it doesn't strike me as a worthwhile enough change as
OpenGrants to be worth the trouble. Frankly, "gittip" isn't too
specific, because the people who don't use "git" dont' recognize that
in the name and just think its a play on "get tips" by itself.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM, evenality
reply@reply.github.com
wrote:

@hansent does have a good point. What if ...gittip is kept for the time being to get a solid foundation in place (billing, tax/accounting implications, payouts, etc) and then when ready to rebrand to fundhub(for all types of users) use that as the push to MARKET MARKET MARKET.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/whit537/www.gittip.com/issues/138#issuecomment-7409612

Read my blog! I depend on your acceptance of my opinion! I am interesting!
http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy

Move me to -0 for "fundhub". I don't dislike it as much as I first
did, but it doesn't strike me as a worthwhile enough change as
OpenGrants to be worth the trouble. Frankly, "gittip" isn't too
specific, because the people who don't use "git" dont' recognize that
in the name and just think its a play on "get tips" by itself.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM, evenality
reply@reply.github.com
wrote:

@hansent does have a good point. What if ...gittip is kept for the time being to get a solid foundation in place (billing, tax/accounting implications, payouts, etc) and then when ready to rebrand to fundhub(for all types of users) use that as the push to MARKET MARKET MARKET.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/whit537/www.gittip.com/issues/138#issuecomment-7409612

Read my blog! I depend on your acceptance of my opinion! I am interesting!
http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Jul 31, 2012

Contributor

This is a big deal, and it's only been eight hours since this round of discussion began. I feel like I need to sleep on it, which means that voting will be open through the night. Also means folks in Australia have a chance to weigh in. ;-)

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Jul 31, 2012

This is a big deal, and it's only been eight hours since this round of discussion began. I feel like I need to sleep on it, which means that voting will be open through the night. Also means folks in Australia have a chance to weigh in. ;-)

@whitmo

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@whitmo

whitmo Jul 31, 2012

http://barry.warsaw.us/software/laws.html

5th law. "All names are stupid until you become rich and famous with it."

Upon thought and watching the conversation (fully guilty of
contributing to the bikeshed earlier), I think the marketing value of
changing the name would be negated by the fact that a fair amount of
publicity has imprinted the web under the name gittip.

Name seems to be working fine from what I can tell. And the more
something works on the internet, the less reason there is to change
it.

wrt to growing beyond a technical audience, basically it come down to this::

  • you are geeky and know why it's called gittip and use it for whatever. Yay!
  • you are not geeky and have no idea what it means and use it for whatever. Yay!

I mean what the fuck is a flickr? what does delicious have to do with
links? What does a river in south american inhabited by warrior
princessess have to do with books and virtual servers?

Gittip already deals with gits (difficult people who probably deserve
money but don't get it because they are gits) and tips (giving people
the money they deserve even though they are not being paid it).

In this sense gittip is way more meaningful than most service names out there.

There are bad names and good reason to change names. I don't think
this project has hit either of those points yet. I do think Gittip
rocks and the name is part of it's however many weeks old heritage.
Consider git a philosophical approach rather than a technology, and
it's pretty easy to explain if you feel an explanation is required.

Anyway, that's my pinch of salt. I vote for sea foam green.

-w

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Chad Whitacre
reply@reply.github.com
wrote:

This is a big deal, and it's only been eight hours since this round of discussion began. I feel like I need to sleep on it, which means that voting will be open through the night. Also means folks in Australia have a chance to weigh in. ;-)


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/whit537/www.gittip.com/issues/138#issuecomment-7411620

<=>
david "whit" morriss

"If you don't know where you are,
you don't know anything at all"

Dr. Edgar Spencer, Ph.D., 1995

whitmo commented Jul 31, 2012

http://barry.warsaw.us/software/laws.html

5th law. "All names are stupid until you become rich and famous with it."

Upon thought and watching the conversation (fully guilty of
contributing to the bikeshed earlier), I think the marketing value of
changing the name would be negated by the fact that a fair amount of
publicity has imprinted the web under the name gittip.

Name seems to be working fine from what I can tell. And the more
something works on the internet, the less reason there is to change
it.

wrt to growing beyond a technical audience, basically it come down to this::

  • you are geeky and know why it's called gittip and use it for whatever. Yay!
  • you are not geeky and have no idea what it means and use it for whatever. Yay!

I mean what the fuck is a flickr? what does delicious have to do with
links? What does a river in south american inhabited by warrior
princessess have to do with books and virtual servers?

Gittip already deals with gits (difficult people who probably deserve
money but don't get it because they are gits) and tips (giving people
the money they deserve even though they are not being paid it).

In this sense gittip is way more meaningful than most service names out there.

There are bad names and good reason to change names. I don't think
this project has hit either of those points yet. I do think Gittip
rocks and the name is part of it's however many weeks old heritage.
Consider git a philosophical approach rather than a technology, and
it's pretty easy to explain if you feel an explanation is required.

Anyway, that's my pinch of salt. I vote for sea foam green.

-w

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Chad Whitacre
reply@reply.github.com
wrote:

This is a big deal, and it's only been eight hours since this round of discussion began. I feel like I need to sleep on it, which means that voting will be open through the night. Also means folks in Australia have a chance to weigh in. ;-)


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/whit537/www.gittip.com/issues/138#issuecomment-7411620

<=>
david "whit" morriss

"If you don't know where you are,
you don't know anything at all"

Dr. Edgar Spencer, Ph.D., 1995

@tito

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@tito

tito Aug 1, 2012

+1 for fundhub

tito commented Aug 1, 2012

+1 for fundhub

@thiloplanz

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@thiloplanz

thiloplanz Aug 1, 2012

I say keep the branding the same, provide it as a infrastructure service and let other build other services for other communities on top of it. People know gittip, unless there is some need to start over, I don't see a point to changing it.

This !

-1 for rebranding. Let's focus on Github (and maybe other open-source project hosting sites), and provide the best (i.e. most tailored) service to this community. Let a network of related (and somewhat interoperable) services develop for other communities.

I say keep the branding the same, provide it as a infrastructure service and let other build other services for other communities on top of it. People know gittip, unless there is some need to start over, I don't see a point to changing it.

This !

-1 for rebranding. Let's focus on Github (and maybe other open-source project hosting sites), and provide the best (i.e. most tailored) service to this community. Let a network of related (and somewhat interoperable) services develop for other communities.

@bruceadams

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@bruceadams

bruceadams Aug 1, 2012

Contributor

I'm changing my vote.

-1 for fundhub

Let's stick with gittip.

Contributor

bruceadams commented Aug 1, 2012

I'm changing my vote.

-1 for fundhub

Let's stick with gittip.

@steveklabnik

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Aug 1, 2012

Contributor

65.4% - Proposal Does Not Pass

Phew! Wow. People, what a whirlwind, for me at least. 😳

I want to thank everyone who brainstormed names and bought domains and offered domains and offered to work with Twitter and weighed in and reminded us of various perspectives and in general participated in this thread. In the end maybe it was a bikeshed, but I'm not even sure of that because what I think we can see clearly here is that after two months there's a significant community of people interested in the fundamental idea regardless of what the name is.

As stated, I'm going to close this ticket and stick with the name Gittip.com. Let's take all of the great energy that came out on this thread and transfer it into forward progress on other fronts. Personally my priorities are:

Give yourselves a hand for some unusually fun and community-building bikeshedding. 👏

Now let's get back to building and growing Gittip!

See you on another thread! 🚀

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Aug 1, 2012

65.4% - Proposal Does Not Pass

Phew! Wow. People, what a whirlwind, for me at least. 😳

I want to thank everyone who brainstormed names and bought domains and offered domains and offered to work with Twitter and weighed in and reminded us of various perspectives and in general participated in this thread. In the end maybe it was a bikeshed, but I'm not even sure of that because what I think we can see clearly here is that after two months there's a significant community of people interested in the fundamental idea regardless of what the name is.

As stated, I'm going to close this ticket and stick with the name Gittip.com. Let's take all of the great energy that came out on this thread and transfer it into forward progress on other fronts. Personally my priorities are:

Give yourselves a hand for some unusually fun and community-building bikeshedding. 👏

Now let's get back to building and growing Gittip!

See you on another thread! 🚀

@jezdez

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment

jezdez commented Aug 1, 2012

Oh, hm.

@hansent

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@hansent

hansent Aug 1, 2012

In the end maybe it was a bikeshed, but I'm not even sure of that because what I think we can see clearly here
is that after two months there's a significant community of people interested in the fundamental idea
regardless of what the name is.

I don't think it was just a bikeshed discussion. Yes, they name ultimately, as a string of characters, is not that important, but I think this was more about the identity / fundamental idea behind gittip.com, what it is, it stands for, and what it's vision is. With that perspective, and seeing how many people contributed and are just as excited about this; I think the energy was well spent and shows that we are on to something that can really make the world better :)

hansent commented Aug 1, 2012

In the end maybe it was a bikeshed, but I'm not even sure of that because what I think we can see clearly here
is that after two months there's a significant community of people interested in the fundamental idea
regardless of what the name is.

I don't think it was just a bikeshed discussion. Yes, they name ultimately, as a string of characters, is not that important, but I think this was more about the identity / fundamental idea behind gittip.com, what it is, it stands for, and what it's vision is. With that perspective, and seeing how many people contributed and are just as excited about this; I think the energy was well spent and shows that we are on to something that can really make the world better :)

@strand

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@strand

strand Aug 1, 2012

Contributor

If we revisit this discussion in the future, I hope we can have a data-driven discussion. I asked my friend Lauren how she might go about finding the right name to brand an organization with, and she directed me to the article How to Hack a Dominating Domain Name for Your Website, which documents the process she was a part of for finding the right name for PlaceFull.

UPDATE:

The very relevant portion of that article is:

  1. Clickthrough Rate Test

I took the top 10 contenders from 1-4 and created an Adwords campaign with 10 individual ads. The keywords related to our market. Each ad was identical except for the company name in the title and display URL. The ad led to a generic “coming soon/sign up” page. For $100 we generated over 100,000 impressions and measured the CTR for each ad, trying to keep all other variables equal.

Surprisingly, the CTR test resulted in a clear winner: the original name we paid the agency to develop. This cinched it.

Contributor

strand commented Aug 1, 2012

If we revisit this discussion in the future, I hope we can have a data-driven discussion. I asked my friend Lauren how she might go about finding the right name to brand an organization with, and she directed me to the article How to Hack a Dominating Domain Name for Your Website, which documents the process she was a part of for finding the right name for PlaceFull.

UPDATE:

The very relevant portion of that article is:

  1. Clickthrough Rate Test

I took the top 10 contenders from 1-4 and created an Adwords campaign with 10 individual ads. The keywords related to our market. Each ad was identical except for the company name in the title and display URL. The ad led to a generic “coming soon/sign up” page. For $100 we generated over 100,000 impressions and measured the CTR for each ad, trying to keep all other variables equal.

Surprisingly, the CTR test resulted in a clear winner: the original name we paid the agency to develop. This cinched it.

@domenkozar

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@domenkozar

domenkozar Sep 6, 2012

HI guys, I'm wondering who has fundhub account on github? I would be really happy to have it :)

HI guys, I'm wondering who has fundhub account on github? I would be really happy to have it :)

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Dec 19, 2012

Contributor

Sorry @iElectric, that was me. I just added you as an owner. Feel free to take me off as an owner.

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Dec 19, 2012

Sorry @iElectric, that was me. I just added you as an owner. Feel free to take me off as an owner.

@domenkozar

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@domenkozar

domenkozar Dec 19, 2012

Thanks!

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Chad Whitacre notifications@github.comwrote:

Sorry @iElectric https://github.com/iElectric, that was me. I just
added you as an owner. Feel free to take me off as an owner.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHubhttps://github.com/whit537/www.gittip.com/issues/138#issuecomment-11535929.

Thanks!

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Chad Whitacre notifications@github.comwrote:

Sorry @iElectric https://github.com/iElectric, that was me. I just
added you as an owner. Feel free to take me off as an owner.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHubhttps://github.com/whit537/www.gittip.com/issues/138#issuecomment-11535929.

@chadwhitacre

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chadwhitacre

chadwhitacre Dec 19, 2012

Contributor

We'll reopen the name discussion when either GitHub or Oprah complains.

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4943242

Contributor

chadwhitacre commented Dec 19, 2012

We'll reopen the name discussion when either GitHub or Oprah complains.

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4943242

@abnor

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@abnor

abnor Feb 26, 2013

I propose the name getfund; getfunded; getfunds

abnor commented Feb 26, 2013

I propose the name getfund; getfunded; getfunds

@chmullig

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@chmullig

chmullig Feb 26, 2013

-1, it sounds like a kickstarter knockoff to me.

-1, it sounds like a kickstarter knockoff to me.

@ceboudreaux

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@ceboudreaux

ceboudreaux Jun 27, 2013

Contributor

SendTip.com and SendTips.com are taken, but not developed.

These would change the focus from receiving tips to giving tips.

Contributor

ceboudreaux commented Jun 27, 2013

SendTip.com and SendTips.com are taken, but not developed.

These would change the focus from receiving tips to giving tips.

@domenkozar

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@domenkozar

domenkozar Sep 18, 2013

BTW, fundhub.org is free now :)

BTW, fundhub.org is free now :)

@patcon

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@patcon

patcon Oct 23, 2013

Contributor

I know this subject is closed for now, but I'd suggest we consider how gittip could franchise it's infra at some point. For example, HiveWire operates on a similar premise with offering branded Kickstarter clones to organizations, like the Centre for Social Innovation's Catalyst crowdfunding service.

Certain groups are always going to need different messages to appeal to their user base. Perhaps its best to allow that to develop organically by facilitating branded mini-gittips. After all, I get the impression that gittip wants to be results-driven (ie the more people using the platform, the better), so we don't have the normal concerns about brand dilution, right?

Disclaimer: Skimmed this issue :P

Contributor

patcon commented Oct 23, 2013

I know this subject is closed for now, but I'd suggest we consider how gittip could franchise it's infra at some point. For example, HiveWire operates on a similar premise with offering branded Kickstarter clones to organizations, like the Centre for Social Innovation's Catalyst crowdfunding service.

Certain groups are always going to need different messages to appeal to their user base. Perhaps its best to allow that to develop organically by facilitating branded mini-gittips. After all, I get the impression that gittip wants to be results-driven (ie the more people using the platform, the better), so we don't have the normal concerns about brand dilution, right?

Disclaimer: Skimmed this issue :P

@whitmo

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@whitmo

whitmo Oct 24, 2013

+1 to subgittips

-w

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Patrick Connolly
notifications@github.comwrote:

I know this is done for now, but might make sense consider how gittip
might want to franchise it's infra at some point. For example, HiveWirehttp://www.hivewire.ca/operates on a similar premise with offering branded Kickstarter clones to
organizations like the Centre for Social Innovation's Catalyst
crowdfunding service http://www.csicatalyst.org/.

Certain groups are always going to need different messages to appeal to
their user base. Perhaps its best to allow that to develop organically by
facilitating branded mini-gittips. After all, I get the impression that
gittip wants to be results-driven (ie the more people using the platform,
the better), so we don't have the normal concerns about brand dilution,
right?

Disclaimer: Skimmed this issue :P


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHubhttps://github.com/gittip/www.gittip.com/issues/138#issuecomment-26942498
.

<=>
david "whit" morriss

"If you don't know where you are,
you don't know anything at all"

Dr. Edgar Spencer, Ph.D., 1995

whitmo commented Oct 24, 2013

+1 to subgittips

-w

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Patrick Connolly
notifications@github.comwrote:

I know this is done for now, but might make sense consider how gittip
might want to franchise it's infra at some point. For example, HiveWirehttp://www.hivewire.ca/operates on a similar premise with offering branded Kickstarter clones to
organizations like the Centre for Social Innovation's Catalyst
crowdfunding service http://www.csicatalyst.org/.

Certain groups are always going to need different messages to appeal to
their user base. Perhaps its best to allow that to develop organically by
facilitating branded mini-gittips. After all, I get the impression that
gittip wants to be results-driven (ie the more people using the platform,
the better), so we don't have the normal concerns about brand dilution,
right?

Disclaimer: Skimmed this issue :P


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHubhttps://github.com/gittip/www.gittip.com/issues/138#issuecomment-26942498
.

<=>
david "whit" morriss

"If you don't know where you are,
you don't know anything at all"

Dr. Edgar Spencer, Ph.D., 1995

@patcon

This comment has been minimized.

Show comment
Hide comment
@patcon

patcon Feb 14, 2014

Contributor

FYI, if anyone else is partial to .do domains: make sure you search here:
http://nic.do/whois-hin.php3

(They have terrible seo, but it's the official. Deceptive third-party whois providers sometimes put client holds on domains you search for.)

Contributor

patcon commented Feb 14, 2014

FYI, if anyone else is partial to .do domains: make sure you search here:
http://nic.do/whois-hin.php3

(They have terrible seo, but it's the official. Deceptive third-party whois providers sometimes put client holds on domains you search for.)

@chadwhitacre chadwhitacre referenced this issue in gratipay/inside.gratipay.com Dec 2, 2015

Closed

use Loomio #420

@chadwhitacre chadwhitacre referenced this issue in open-organization-ambassadors/ambassador-board-room Apr 20, 2017

Closed

publish something about "inner circling" #17

Sign up for free to subscribe to this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in.