Say Goodbye to "It works on my machine"
Preso and resources for my cf.objective() 2014 talk "Say Goodbye to “It works on my machine” with Chef and Vagrant
Learn what Vagrant and Chef are and how and why you would use them. We will look at how using automated environments lets you develop quicker and more easily. We will take a look at some of the options for setting up various stacks (NGNIX vs Apache, ACF vs Railo, CentOS vs Ubuntu) and how you can quickly compare stacks using Vagrant and Chef combined. Discuss how to use the same Chef recipes to setup production environments.
Managers sick of the “it works on my machine” excuse on their teams. Developers that like to try lots of things quickly and easily. People looking for consistency across their various environments.
- Basic understanding of Installation/administrator of Railo/Adobe ColdFusion
- Basic understanding of shell/bash scripting (really basic is fine)
- Basic understanding of web server installation/configuration
- Learn what Chef and Vagrant are and why you would use them
- How to use Chef and Vagrant to get rid of “it works on my machine”
- How to compare various technology stacks quickly using Chef and Vagrant
- Learn the basics of a “Vagrant File” and how to configure your Vagrant box
- Discuss the various ways to provision and configure your development machine