Profile-sync-daemon (psd) is a tiny pseudo-daemon designed to manage your browser's profile in tmpfs and to periodically sync it back to your physical disc (HDD/SSD). This is accomplished via a symlinking step and an innovative use of rsync to maintain back-up and synchronization between the two. One of the major design goals of psd is a completely transparent user experience.
Always backup your browser profile(s) before using psd for the first time.
Users of eCryptFS
User of eCryptFS are encouraged not to use psd unless willing to help troubleshoot suspected browser corruption. See #158.
- Firefox (stable, beta, and aurora)
- Firefox-trunk (this is an Ubuntu-only browser: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/install-firefox-nightly-from-ubuntu-ppa.html)
- Google Chrome (stable, beta, and dev)
- Heftig's version of Aurora (this is an Arch Linux-only browser: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=117157)
- Icecat (GNU version of Firefox)
- Iceweasel (Debian version of Firefox)
- Inox (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=198763)
- Opera, Opera-Beta, Opera-Developer, and Opera-Legacy
- Surf (http://surf.suckless.org/)
- Vivaldi-browser and Vivaldi-browser-snapshot
Consult the man page or the wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Profile-sync-daemon
Installation from Source
To build from source, see the included INSTALL text document.
Installation from Distro Packages
- Arch: in the community repo.
- Debian jesse+: in the official repos.
- Exherbo: in the official repos.
- Gentoo: in the official repos.
- Ubuntu 16.10+: in the universe repo.
If you are interested in packaging psd for your favorite distro, please contact me.