This is a prototype of IMAP server.
To get started
- install imaplet via opam: opam install imaplet, or build it from source
- if built from source then run: 'sudo make install'
- run 'sudo imaplet_configure'. This will help you to set up configuration settings to run imaplet server for the first time. You can also update configuration settings in imaplet.cf file. The important parameters to set:
- irmin_path: path for the git repository, default is /var/mail/accounts/%user%/repo, where %user% will be replaced with the actual user name
- user_cert_path: path for the user's certificate, default is /var/mail/accounts/%user%/cert, where %user% will be replaced with the actual user name
- addr: interface that IMAP server accepts connections on, default is 0.0.0.0
- port: port to listen on, normally 993 for SSL and 143 for plain, default is 993
- ssl: set to true to support ssl, default is true
- starttls: set to true to support STARTTLS, default is true
- smtp_addr: interface that SMTP server accepts connections on, default is 0.0.0.0
- smtp_port: port to listen on, normally it's either 25 or 587, default is 587
- smtp_ssl: this option is rarely suppported by email clients, default is false
- smtp_starttls: set to true to support STARTTLS, default is true
- log: location of the log files (imaplet.log and smtplet.log), by default it is /var/log. You can also set the logging go to stderr or stdout by setting the log to stderr|stdout
- domain: your email server domain name, by default the host name
- create new user account run 'sudo imaplet_create_account -u name:password'. This will create necessary folders, create some typical email boxes (INBOX, Drafts,etc), and update 'users' file containing user name/password. User's account by default is created in /var/mail/accounts. You have to create this directory if it doesn't exist.
- import email archive there are two sample archives included in the data folder one is test.mbox with a few email messages in it run this command in the data folder to import email from test.mbox: sudo imaplet_irmin_build -u imaplet -m archive:test.mbox another archive is maildir, which has a few messages and folder, you need first to unpack the archive with 'tar -xf maildir.tar.gz' then run this command in the data folder to import email from maildir: sudo imaplet_irmin_build -u imaplet -m maildir:./Maildir
Run the server as: sudo imaplet. You can set some configuration parameters from the command line, for instance: sudo imaplet -port 143 -ssl false -starttls false -net 0.0.0.0
After you start the IMAP server you can connect with your email client to the server. Since the server runs on your local machine, the email address is going to be 'imaplet@localhost' and the IMAP/SMTP address is 'localhost'.