Where is Grey?
A simple app to plot my progress around the world.
How it works
- Route taken (so far) is built up from check-ins from my SPOT GPS tracker. Every 10 minutes a job is run to ask SPOT for all recent check-ins, and stores them (since SPOT stop making them available after 7 days)
- If there's a discontinuity (e.g., I take a ferry across a sea) I manually mark it as such on the check-in. Otherwise all check-ins are assumed to link up
- Proposed route map is stored as a KML document, which is then parsed and plotted on a Google map
- Postgres database
- Sinatra backend
- Webpack/ES6 frontend
To run locally:
bundle install npm install bundle exec rake db:seed bundle exec shotgun (watches and rebuilds backend) npm start (watches and rebuilds front end)
- Explanation page (what is this website)
- Stats page (per day elevation, hours ridden, miles travelled)
- Better info windows on route so far (better information)