Get better at UNIX
This repo is a demonstrative set of files meant to train you to be better at UNIX. Every challenge is something I use often or have found to be very useful in day-to-day programming.
How to Play
- Fork the repo
- Read the first challenge, in
- All challenges assume that you are in the
- When you figure out how to complete it, make a commit detailing what commands you ran. See the "Commit format" section below for guidelines.
- Move on to
- Rinse and repeat.
- First line: "Completing challenge N (COMMAND)."
- Second line: blank.
- Third-last lines: Detail the commands you ran, following the bulleted list in the challenge.
Follow the format here.
Finished challenge 1 (ls). * ls --foo * ls -1 \ --foo \ --bar \ * ls --bar -H
Each challenge builds on previous ones, and each one introduces only one new
concept. If you've mastered challenge N and you know how to use
man, then you
can do challenge N+1.
Does the name of this repo refer to anything?
Why yes! It refers to a Neal Stephenson essay called "In the Beginning was the Command Line". To download it, go here.