Federated, ActivityPub-compatible social network with friends, walls, and groups.
If you have any questions or feedback, there's a Telegram chat you can join.
- Install and configure MySQL
- Install maven and JDK >=17 if you don't have it already
- Build the jar by running
mvn package -DskipTests=trueand place the one with dependencies at
- Set up the image processing native library (libvips): run
java LibVipsDownloader.javato automatically download a prebuilt one from here. If you already have libvips installed on your system, you may skip this step, but be aware that not all libvips builds include all the features Smithereen needs.
- Install and configure imgproxy
- Fill in the config file, see a commented example here
- Create a new MySQL database and initialize it with the schema using a command (
mysql -p smithereen < schema.sql) or any GUI like phpMyAdmin
- Configure and start the daemon: assuming your distribution uses systemd, copy the service file to /etc/systemd/system, then run
service smithereen start
java -jar /opt/smithereen/smithereen.jar /etc/smithereen/config.properties init_adminto create the first account
- Log into that account from your web browser, then configure the rest of the server settings from its UI
Copy Docker-specific config example to the project root directory as
config.properties and edit it to set your domain. Also edit
docker-compose.yml to add your imgproxy secrets. You can then use
docker-compose to run Smithereen, MySQL, and imgproxy. You still need to configure your web server to reverse proxy the port 4567. Create the first account by running
docker-compose exec web bash -c ./smithereen-init-admin.
If you would like to help translate Smithereen into your language, please do so on Crowdin.