Federated, ActivityPub-compatible social network with friends, walls, and groups.
If you have any questions or feedback, there's a Telegram chat you can join.
Running directly on your server
- Install and configure MySQL
- Install maven and JDK >=15 if you don't have it already
- Build the jar by running
mvn packageand place the one with dependencies at
- Set up the native library (libvips and JNI bindings): pick a binary for your OS and CPU from prebuilt ones or build your own
- Install and configure imgproxy
- Fill in the config file, see a commented example here
- Create a new MySQL database and initialize it with the schema using a command (
mysql -p smithereen < schema.sql) or any GUI like phpMyAdmin
- Configure and start the daemon: assuming your distribution uses systemd, copy the service file to /etc/systemd/system, then run
service smithereen start
java -jar /opt/smithereen/smithereen.jar /etc/smithereen/config.properties init_adminto create the first account
- Log into that account from your web browser, then configure the rest of the server settings from its UI
Copy Docker-specific config example to the project root directory as
config.properties and edit it to set your domain. Also edit
docker-compose.yml to add your imgproxy secrets. You can then use
docker-compose to run Smithereen, MySQL, and imgproxy. You still need to configure your web server to reverse proxy the port 4567. Create the first account by running
docker exec -it smithereen_web_1 bash -c ./smithereen-init-admin.