- gem install grosser-algorithms
- misc fixes for jruby/1.9 by szuecs
- gemification + rdoc by Michael Grosser
Started as a Google Summer of Code 2008 project
Written by Kanwei Li, mentored by Austin Ziegler
Original Proposal: Using the right data structure or algorithm for the situation is an important aspect of programming. In computer science literature, many data structures and algorithms have been researched and extensively documented. However, there is still no standard library in Ruby implementing useful structures and algorithms like Red/Black Trees, tries, different sorting algorithms, etc. This project will create such a library with documentation on when to use a particular structure/algorithm. It will also come with a benchmark suite to compare performance in different situations.
Done so far:
* Heaps Algorithms::Containers::Heap, Containers::MaxHeap, Containers::MinHeap * Priority Queue Algorithms::Containers::PriorityQueue * Deque Algorithms::Containers::Deque, Containers::CDeque (C extension), Containers::RubyDeque * Stack Algorithms::Containers::Stack (uses Deque) * Queue Algorithms::Containers::Queue (uses Deque) * Red-Black Trees Algorithms::Containers::RBTreeMap, Containers::CRBTreeMap (C extension), Containers::RubyRBTreeMap * Splay Trees Algorithms::Containers::SplayTreeMap, Containers::CSplayTreeMap (C extension), Containers::RubySplayTreeMap * Tries Algorithms::Containers::Trie * Suffix Array Algorithms::Containers::SuffixArray * kd Tree Algorithms::Containers::KDTree * Search algorithms - Binary Search Algorithms::Algorithms::Search.binary_search - Knuth-Morris-Pratt Algorithms::Algorithms::Search.kmp_search * Sort algorithms - Bubble sort Algorithms::Algorithms::Sort.bubble_sort - Comb sort Algorithms::Algorithms::Sort.comb_sort - Selection sort Algorithms::Algorithms::Sort.selection_sort - Heapsort Algorithms::Algorithms::Sort.heapsort - Insertion sort Algorithms::Algorithms::Sort.insertion_sort - Shell sort Algorithms::Algorithms::Sort.shell_sort - Quicksort Algorithms::Algorithms::Sort.quicksort - Mergesort Algorithms::Algorithms::Sort.mergesort
require 'rubygems' require 'algorithms' max_heap = Algorithms::Containers::MaxHeap.new # To not have to type "Algorithms::" before each class, use: include Algorithms max_heap = Containers::MaxHeap.new # To not have to type "Containers::" before each class, use: include Containers max_heap = MaxHeap.new
- Ruby 1.8 compatible Ruby, or Ruby 1.9
- C compiler for C extensions (optional, but very much recommended for vast performance benefits)
- sudo gem install algorithms
(The MIT License)
Algorithms and Containers project is Copyright (c) 2009 Kanwei Li
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the 'Software'), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED 'AS IS', WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.