- Images are too large because they are not optimized
- Users & your bandwidth is wasted for useless metadata
- local image optimization requires tons of programs / libaries / knowledge
- LOSSLESS size reduction (10-97% size reduction) in the cloud
- optmizes all images(jpg+png+[gif]) from a given folder
install ruby + rubygems sudo gem install smusher
Optimize a single image or a whole folder in the cloud.
converting gif-s to png-s:
- called with a folder gif-s will not be converted
- called on a single .gif or wildcard, image(s) will be converted if optimizeable
Usage: smusher /apps/x/public/images [options] smusher /apps/x/public/images/x.png [options] smusher /apps/x/public/images/*.png [options]
Options are: -q, --quiet no output -c, --convert-gifs convert all .gif`s in the given folder --service PunyPng use PunyPng for image optimizing, instead of SmushIt
Any image that returns a failure code, is larger than before, or is empty will not be saved.
smusher /apps/ts/public/images smushing /apps/rs/public/images/social/facebook_icon.png 2887 -> 132 = 4% smushing /apps/rs/public/images/social/myspace_icon.png 3136 -> 282 = 8% smushing /apps/rs/public/images/dvd/dvd_1.png 5045 -> 4 = 0% reverted! ...
- only optimize 'new' images -> save time when doing on each deploy
- convert gifs to png, even if the new size is the same, for consistency (atm only those which get smaller are converted)
If you want to lossless reduce images and minify css + js, try reduce.