Say hello to responsive design made easy.
Using GroundworkCSS, you can rapidly prototype and create accessible web apps that work on virtually any device. Key features that make GroundworkCSS stand out are:
- nestable, fractional, responsive, adaptive, fluid grid system
- works on virtually anything: mobile, tablet, or large screen devices
- built with modular Sass and CoffeeScript components
- easy to customize
- highly configurable
- supports purely semantic implementations by utilizing Sass @extend, @mixin and %placeholder classes
- built-in ARIA role support
- responsive text and tables
- and much more
Getting Started using GroundworkCSS
The easiest way to incorporate GroundworkCSS into your project is to copy the pre-compiled CSS and JS files into your project, and then refer to them in markup. The 2 most important files are:
In addition to these (required) support files:
- js/libs/modernizr-2.6.2.min.js (required)
- js/libs/jquery-1.10.2.min.js (required)
- css/groundwork-ie.css (required for old IE compatibility)
All in all, you may end up with markup that looks like the following:
At the top of your HTML document (within the head section)
<!-- Modernizr --> <script src="/js/libs/modernizr-2.6.2.min.js"></script> <!-- framework css --> <!--[if gt IE 9]><!--> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="/css/groundwork.css"> <!--<![endif]--> <!--[if lte IE 9]> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="/css/groundwork-core.css"> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="/css/groundwork-type.css"> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="/css/groundwork-ui.css"> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="/css/groundwork-anim.css"> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="/css/groundwork-ie.css"> <![endif]-->
At the bottom of your HTML document (just before your closing body tag)
If you use Sass and you want to compile your own build of Groundwork or integrate it along with your project code.
Sass source files are located in src/sass and src/coffee.
Important files to edit are:
- groundwork.sass: dictates which modules are imported for compilation (delete/comment out unneeded modules).
- _settings.sass: initial settings for Groundwork, including customizable colors, options to turn off rapid prototyping classes and much more.
You can then output your own groundwork[.css/.js], or import groundwork.sass
as part of your project's Sass. The latter lets you utilise GroundworkCSS's
@extend for your custom classes.
Ruby on Rails
If you're using Groundwork in a Ruby on Rails project, definitely use the groundworkcss-rails gem
Want to develop on and contribute to GroundworkCSS?
Read Contributing to Groundwork and fork away! :)