Hangouts Chat code samples
Which JS platform you choose depends on the type of bot application you're using/writing. Apps Script features tighter integration with G Suite data and applications, while Google Cloud Functions has a tighter integration with Google Cloud Platform services and APIs. Finally, mobile apps or mobile web apps are more likely to want to take advantage of Cloud Functions for Firebase. It is also generally straightforward to port from one JS implementation to another, for example, to Node.js.
In each folder, you can find a language-specific implementation of the one or more of the following code samples:
- Basic bot: This bot receives event notices and messages from Hangouts Chat and responds synchronously with simple text responses. This sample demonstrates how to create an HTTP endpoint bot using Google App Engine.
- Basic async bot: This bot receives event notices and messages from Hangouts Chat and responds asynchronously with simple text responses. The responses will appear in the same thread that raised the original event or message. This sample is an HTTP endpoint bot built upon Google App Engine.
- Pub/Sub bot: This bot uses Google Cloud Pub/Sub to receive messages from Hangouts Chat. The bot responds back to Hangouts Chat asynchronously.
- Card bot: This bot receives event notices and messages from Hangouts Chat and responds synchronously with a card-formatted response. This sample is an HTTP endpoint bot built upon Google App Engine.
- Vote bot: This bot demonstrates updating interactive cards by providing a platform whereby users can vote on topics, such as who can do lunch today, who wants to play ball at lunch, etc. Samples can feature images or be text-only.
For additional details about how to set up and run each sample, consult the README file included with the sample.
Note: The Hangouts Chat application, and the developer platform, are only available to G Suite accounts. You will not be able to develop or test a bot with an @gmail.com account.
This is not an official product.
This library is licensed under Apache 2.0. Full license text is available in LICENSE.