Reader Group Extension
The basic purpose of this extension is to control access to pages in your public site. It allows you to create a group of readers, and to make pages 9and other site elements) visible only to selected groups. It also provides a useful - and now quite shiny - group-messaging interface and a batch-import function for inviting readers.
In combination with our other extensions it also lets you control access to forums, downloads and assets. I hope other people will find the framework useful and apply it to their own requirements.
This extension doesn't group your users or affect the admin interface at all, apart from adding (quite a lot of) machinery for looking after groups. As always, readers have their own self-management interface that looks like the rest of your site. They never see the admin pages.
This works with multi_site. If you use our fork then readers and groups are automatically site-scoped.
- groups can be marked subscribable, which puts a checkbox to subscribe or unsubscribe on the readers' registration and preference forms. Migration required.
- messages can each have a different layout
- group-mailer moved into Reader as general purpose reader-mailer, now using radiant layouts for styled group mailouts
- group access control consolidated in
is_groupedfunction to simplify maintenance of other extensions
- invitations factored out, made reasonably restful
This has been brought across from a previous version that grouped users instead of working in the reader framework, so it's a mixture of the well-used and the just-invented, but the tests are fairly comprehensive. It's in use on a couple of biggish sites and seems fairly robust.
Once you've got the reader extension in, the rest is easy:
git submodule add git://github.com/spanner/radiant-reader_group-extension.git vendor/extensions/reader_group rake radiant:extensions:reader_group:migrate rake radiant:extensions:reader_group:update
Bugs and comments
In lighthouse, please, or for little things an email or github message is always welcome.
Author and copyright
- Copyright spanner ltd 2007-9.
- Released under the same terms as Rails and/or Radiant.
- Contact will at spanner.org