PyCBC: Python Software to Study Gravitational Waves
PyCBC is software developed by a collaboration of LIGO, Virgo, and independent scientists. It is open source and freely available. We use PyCBC in the detection of gravitational waves from binary mergers such as GW150914. These examples explore how to analyze gravitational wave data, how we find potential signals, and learn about them.
These notebooks are available to view, download, or run in interactive sessions.
Some things that you may learn
- How to access LIGO data
- How to do some basic signal processing
- Data visualization of LIGO data in time-frequency plots
- Matched filtering to extract a known signal
Run tutorials from your browser!
There are two main methods to run tutorials from your browser.
- Azure notebooks
- You'll want to make a microsoft account (free) and log in.
- Hit the clone button and then run included tutorials. You can edit and save modifications that you make.
- We suggest starting by opening the 'index.ipynb' file as it contains a directory of the available tutorials and additional example scripts.