Writeup is a text markup format that translates to HTML5. It is similar to Markdown in spirit, but not equivalent. Some differences:
- Writeup documents can embed the contents of other files, with sensible default styling.
- Writeup has unambiguous character escape syntaxes.
- The output HTML document is organized into hierarchical sections.
- A required syntax version at the top of every Writeup document allows the format to evolve while preserving the ability to render older documents exactly as originally intended.
- Special handling of copyright/license header lines.
- Integration with Muck, a build tool for data projects.
All of the source code and documentation is dedicated to the public domain under CC0: https://creativecommons.org/.publicdomain/zero/1.0/.