A Standard Notes fork
What is this?
- Standard Notes, but designed for speed. Inspired heavily by Notational Velocity.
- Press CTRL-F to jump to the search box
- Press CTRL-D in the notelist to delete a note. (In a browser this also adds a bookmark, but the primary use is on the desktop)
- Press enter in the search box to create a note
- When you select a note, it's auto-focused
- Press the cursor keys to move in search results
- Much more compact notelist so you can see more
- No confirmation popup on delete (we have the bin, anyway)
- 'Infinite scroll' loads ALL items the first time you scroll (reasonable balance of speed and having real scrolling)
- Distracting, flickering 'Saving...'/'Saved' status line is gone.
Why a fork instead of individual Extensions and Themes?
- Some things I want to do aren't possible (right now) any other way
- It's easier (and therefore faster) to do
Is there a desktop version?
- Sure. Replace app/node_modules/standard-velocity-web in the desktop repo with this and build as normal.
Is there a mobile version?
- Not yet. The mobile version will need to work slightly differently anyway, lacking a keyboard.
A safe and private place for your life's work.
Standard Notes is a simple and private notes app available on most platforms, including Web, Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android. It focuses on simplicity, and encrypts data locally before it ever touches a cloud. This means no one can read your notes but you (not even us).
Why Standard Notes?
- Simple and easy to use
- Fast and encrypted cross-platform sync
- Free sync on unlimited devices
- Extensible with editors (such as Markdown and Code), themes, and components (like Folders and Autocomplete Tags). Learn more about Extended.
- Open-source and the option to self-host your notes server. You can host your own Standard Server in a few easy steps.
- A strong focus on longevity and sustainability. Learn more.
Creating your private notes account
- Launch the web app at app.standardnotes.org.
- Click Register to create your private notes account.
- Download Standard Notes on all your devices.
- You're all set to begin enjoying a new, more freeing notes life. Standard Notes comes out of the box with end-to-end encrypted sync on all your devices.
If you're looking to power up your experience with extensions, and help support future development, learn more about Extended. Extended offers:
- Powerful editors, including the Plus Editor, Simple Markdown, Advanced Markdown, Code Editor, Vim Editor, and the popular Simple Task Editor.
- Beautiful themes to help you find inspiration in any mood, like Midnight, Focused, Futura, Titanium, and Solarized Dark.
- Powerful data care options, including daily encrypted backups delivered directly to your email inbox, as well as automated Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive backups. You'll also be able to configure two-factor authentication to add an additional layer of security to your account.
- Productivity-enhancing components like Folders, Autocomplete Tags, the ever-handy Action Bar, and GitHub Push.
Publish a Blog
It's no secret we love to write. Standard Notes has become a dependable environment to do your most important work, and this includes publishing your ideas to the world. That's why we created Listed. Listed allows you to create an online publication with automatic email newsletters delivered to your readers, directly from Standard Notes.
Developers can create and publish their own extensions. Visit the documentation hub to learn more.
Questions? Find answers on our Help page.
This repo contains the core code used in the web app, as well as the Electron-based desktop application.
- Clone the repo
npm run buildor
Open your browser to http://localhost:3000.
Extensions Manager and Batch Manager:
The web app makes use of two optional native extensions, which can be configured to work as follows:
git submodule update --init --force --remote(will load the submodules in the
- Set the following environment variables in the .env file:
You can also set the
SF_DEFAULT_SERVER environment variable to set the default server for login and registration.