A project that connects people in need of clothing and other essentials with people in the community who have things to spare. It's kind of like one on one Goodwill. The main objective is to foster interactions between the housed and unhoused. The donation is the mechanism for building these connections throughout our community. \o/
Table of Contents
- Project Status
- Ways to Contribute
- Setup Instructions
- Important URLs
- Product and Design Contributors
- Spare Team
We are currently aiming to launch Spare sometime in late 2019.
- Complete core functionality required for launch (In Progress)
- Prepare demo of app to be presented to partner organizations (TBD)
- Launch app and begin accepting requests (TBD)
Ways to Contribute
- Pick up an engineering task from Github
- Pick up a design task from Github
- Help us with product direction or strategy
- Help us find nonprofit or government partners to help with donation handoff
- Help us find potential users
- Help us define the service design
Also, ping us on the Hack for LA Slack on the #spare channel if you can help. We'd love to have you!
1. Clone project repo
git clone https://github.com/hackforla/spare cd spare
2. Create local env variable file
.env.dev, then edit dev file
to change SECRET_KEY value.
(Note the SECRET_KEY value, used by django, can be any string you choose)
cp .env .env.dev
3. Install Docker and Docker Compose
Create the docker group and add your user
Add the docker group
sudo groupadd docker
Add your user to the docker group
sudo usermod -aG docker $USER
4. Build Docker images
5. Run Docker containers
At any point,
Ctrl-C stops the containers.
Note: On first setup, the server may sometimes start before the
database, causing an error. In this case,
Ctrl-C to stop
all containers and re-run Docker Compose.
6. Run initial migrations and create default superuser and demo data
7. Start local Django server
8. Log in to Django Admin
You can now log in to the Django Admin for your user at:
- Admin - http://localhost:8000/admin/
- Browsable API - http://localhost:8000/api/
- API Login - http://localhost:8000/api-auth/login/
- API Docs - http://localhost:8000/docs/
- Client App - http://localhost:3000/
staging branch are automatically deployed to above staging server.
master branch are automatically deployed to above production server.
Product and Design Contributors
Join our #spare Slack channel - http://hackforla-slack.herokuapp.com/
Spare Team is