Welcome to the official website for OHI/O, an organization working to foster a tech culture at the Ohio State University.
Each of the directory's "sub-sites" (such as the annual hackathon websites) are separate repositories. Those repositories are linked to from this repository as submodules.
To add an existing repository as a submodule of ohio:
- Enter the root folder of the ohio repo
git submodule add <repository URL> <name of location>
- Example: When the hackohio2016 repo was added, it was added through the following command:
git submodule add https://github.com/hackohio/hackOHIO2016 2016
- Note that if you want to add a submodule that is not in the root directory,
you must still enter the command from the root directory but give the full path i.e.
git submodule add https://github.com/hackohio/hs2018 hs/2018
To update a submodule:
- Commit to the repository of the submodule as you normally would.
- Navigate to the submodule folder (e.g.
- Update the submodule contents:
git pull origin master
- Go back to the root directory:
- Commit the update:
git add .followed by
git commit -m 'Updating submodule'
On the server:
After you pull to the server the first time,
you may need to cd to the directory of the submodule and run these commands:
git submodule init
git submodule update