Power FTDI SPI and I2C or Full GPIO Shields for Onion Omega2
These shields are used to power and to expose Onion Omega2 gpio pins. it has just few minimal features such as wiring and 3V3 regulator and exists in 2 versions
- Basic: same size than Omega2, exposing Serial/SPI/I2C
- Full: little bigger but exposing all Omega2 pins
- I2C Pullups placement
- I2C 4 pins connector
- SPI 6 pins connector
- Full Omega2 GPIO pins (Full version only)
- FTDI connector to Omega2 Serial0 (SMD or PTH)
- USB Mini connector to power the whole thing and Omega2
Waiting for V1.0 Boards from PCBs.io. I did not fully tested them yet, I will update ASAP. Use at your own risks
Very simple, you plug your Omega2 on the shield, then you're ready to go. But pay attention, this board run at 3.3V.
You have 2 options to power board :
- Mini USB connector 5V goes to 3V3 regulator and you're ready to go
- Close JP1 and use Only 3V3 FTDI connector that already have regulator on board. FTDI connector will then power the shield and Omega2 without any Mini USB plugged.
Take care if you are powered with mini USB and you want to use FTDI cable to connect to console, use a 3V3 FTDI cable and do not close JP1 connector
Here are example of FTDI 3V3 connector that should work
- SparkFun Beefy 3 FTDI Basic Breakout up to 600mA out at 3V3
- RocketScream USB/Serial with CH340 up to 100mA out at 3V3
- EZSBC Usb To Serial UART 5V or 3V3 up to 250mA out at 3V3
- WeMos CH340G Breakout 5V 3.3V USB to serial up to 300mA out at 3V3
You can order PCB of Basic Version or Full GPIO Version at PCBs.io. PCBs.io give me reward when you order my designed boards from their site. This is pretty good, because I can use these rewards to create and design new boards and order boards for a discounted price and share new boards. So if you don't care about PCB manufacturer please use PCBs.io.
Assembled boards (V1.0)
If you want to do commercial stuff with this project, please contact CH2i company so we can organize an simple agreement.
See news and other projects on my blog