Code of Conduct
Please be kind and courteous. There's no need to be mean or rude. Respect that people have differences of opinion and that every design or implementation choice carries a trade-off and numerous costs. There is seldom a right answer. Please keep unstructured critique to a minimum. If you have ideas that you want to experiment with, make a fork and see how it works.
A primary goal of the hapi pal project is to be inclusive to the largest number of contributors, with the most varied and diverse backgrounds possible. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of age, body size, disability, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.
This code of conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in our community, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior. We invite all those who participate in the hapi pal project to help us create safe and positive experiences for everyone.
A supplemental goal of this Code of Conduct is to increase open source citizenship by encouraging participants to recognize and strengthen the relationships between our actions and their effects on our community. Communities mirror the societies in which they exist and positive action is essential to counteract the many forms of inequality and abuses of power that exist in society.
This Code of Conduct is maintained and enforced by the hapi pal Code of Conduct committee. The committee is subject to the same conduct rules detailed here. Until the committee is formed, the policy will be enforced by members of the Lead Maintainers group.
This policy applies to any interaction with other hapi pal community members.
Whether on GitHub, Twitter, Slack, IRC, Gitter, or any other venue, your actions matter. We expect all members of the hapi pal community, including both users and contributors, to behave respectfully to others regardless of venue and regardless whether the communication is about the hapi pal project or not. In particular, given that hapi pal is an adjacent community to the hapi.js project, this also applies to interactions in spaces that fall under the hapi.js organization.
Expressing opinions which may offend others in public or in private may trigger a policy violation review. Our goal is to provide a safe and welcoming environment and when a conflict arises between one person's freedom of expression and another's sense of safety, we will take the necessary actions to ensure the project remains a welcoming and safe environment for all.
A person's past contribution to the hapi pal project will not be considered when evaluating their behavior. No expertise or contribution excuse offensive behavior.
The following behaviors are expected and requested of all community members:
- Participate in an productive and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
- Remember that community event venues may be shared with members of the public. Please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:
- Violence, threats of violence or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Posting or threatening to post other people's personally identifying information ("doxing").
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.
- Inappropriate photography or recording.
- Inappropriate physical contact. You should have someone's consent before touching them.
- Unwelcome sexual attention. This includes, sexualized comments or jokes, inappropriate touching, groping, and unwelcome sexual advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following (online or in person).
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
- Sustained disruption of community events, including talks and presentations.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any community member, including sponsors and those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated.
When possible, a warning should be given before taking other actions. Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately. If you disagree, first take steps to suspend and remove the offending materials or actions, then raise your objections in a polite and appropriate manner. If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this Code of Conduct, you should reach out via the contacts below with a description of your grievance.
If someone takes issue with something you said or did, resist the urge to be defensive. Just stop doing what it was they complained about and apologize. Even if you feel you were misinterpreted or unfairly accused, chances are good there was something you could have communicated better. Remember that it's your responsibility to make your fellow community members comfortable, safe, and welcomed.
If a community member engages in unacceptable behavior, the community organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from the community without warning (and without refund in the case of a paid event).
You may contact Devin Ivy or any member of the hapi pal Code of Conduct committee (once established).
License and Attribution
This Code of Conduct is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.