This is the 0.13.x series of sbt.
- Setup: Describes getting started with the latest binary release. See below to build from source.
- FAQ: Explains how to get help, how to report an issue, and how to contribute.
- There is a video of a demo given at Scala Days 2011 based on sbt 0.10.0 that gives an introduction to the configuration system in sbt 0.10.0 and later. See the documentation for current information.
- Google Code: hosts sbt 0.7.7 and earlier versions
Build from source
- Install the current stable binary release of sbt (see Setup), which will be used to build sbt from source.
Get the source code.
$ git clone git://github.com/harrah/xsbt.git $ cd xsbt
The initial branch is the development branch 0.13, which contains the latest code for the next major sbt release. To build a specific release or commit, switch to the associated tag. The tag for the latest stable release is v0.12.1:
$ git checkout v0.12.1
Note that sbt is always built with the previous release. For example, the 0.12.1 branch is built with 0.12.0, the v0.11.2 tag is built with 0.11.1, and the v0.11.0 tag is built with 0.10.1.
To build the launcher, publish all components locally, and build API and SXR documentation:
$ sbt build-all
Alternatively, the individual commands run by
build-allmay be executed directly:
$ sbt publish-local proguard sxr doc
To use this locally built version of sbt, copy your stable ~/bin/sbt script to ~/bin/xsbt and change it to use the launcher jar in
<xsbt>/target/. For the v0.12.1 tag, the full location is:
If using the 0.13 development branch, the launcher is at:
New development takes place on the 0.13 branch. Fixes and improvements that are binary compatible with 0.12 can be backported to the 0.12 branch at the time of the next release.
When developing sbt itself, there is no need to run
build-all, since this generates documentation as well. For the fastest turnaround time for checking compilation only, run
To use your modified version of sbt in a project locally, run
publish-local. If you have modified the launcher, also run
publish-local, clean the
~/.sbt/boot/directory. Alternatively, if sbt is running and the launcher hasn't changed, run
reboot fullto have sbt do this for you.
If a project has
project/build.propertiesdefined, either delete the file or change
Documentation is built using sphinx and requires some external programs and libraries to be manually installed first:
$ pip install pygments $ pip install sphinx $ pip install sphinxcontrib-issuetracker
To build the full site, run the
make-site task, which will generate the manual, API, SXR, and other site pages in
To only work on the site and not API or SXR, run