Web Essentials for Visual Studio 2012
Web Essentials extends Visual Studio with lots of new features that web developers have been missing for many years.
This is for all Web developers using Visual Studio.
To contribute to this project, you'll need to do a few things first:
- Fork the project on GitHub
- Clone it to your computer
- Install the Visual Studio 2012 SDK.
- Open the solution in VS2012.
- This verison of Web Essentials uses the ClearScript library to host the V8 script engine. If you wish to make modifications to ClearScript you'll also have to clone that repository.
- To use the V8 engine, you'll have to take the *.dlls in the external directory and place them somewhere on your computer and add that directory to your path. Finally, open up the WebEssentials settings and enable the use of the V8 script engine there as well.
To install your local fork into your main VS instance, you will first need to open
Source.extension.vsixmanifest and bump the version number to make it overwrite the (presumably) already-installed production copy.
You can then build the project, then double-click the VSIX file from the bin folder to install it in Visual Studio.