These are our expectations for event attendees, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior.
- Embrace collaboration: We value a respectful and productive environment, encourage questions, and do not assume that everyone has the same context or skill-set.
- Intelligent debate is encouraged: We challenge ideas and not people. This means we refrain from demeaning, discriminatory or harassing behavior and speech.
- Encourage a participatory environment: We actively make space in conversations for women, minorities and traditionally marginalized individuals to participate.
- Act swiftly to correct bad behavior: If you see inappropriate behavior, regardless of your relationship to the event attendee or speaker, you are responsible for addressing it immediately in a direct, respectful and adult manner. This will ensure this behavior does not continue and negatively affect others in the community.
We have a zero-tolerance policy for harassment: This goes for all attendees, media, speakers, volunteers, organizers, venue staff, partners, sponsors, or exhibitors. Whether intentional or unintentional, we do not tolerate sexualized, demeaning, or insensitive content, comments or acts regarding age, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability, physical appearance, ability, race, and/or religion. Heavybit events are a place where people are free to fully express their identities.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately. If the issue is escalated to Heavybit staff, we will take any action we deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from the event without warning or refund.
What to do if you Witness or are Subjected to Unacceptable Behavior
- Try to have a conversation first. If someone is making you or others uncomfortable, don’t let it slide. We urge you to address inappropriate behavior in a direct, respectful and adult manner. Those asked to stop their inappropriate behavior are expected to comply immediately.
- Notify Heavybit staff: If bad behavior continues, please speak to our onsite staff. Staff are identifiable by their orange lanyards.
- How we address it: We will act swiftly to investigate the issue and will take any actions we deem appropriate to correct the situation including expelling the individual from the event without refund, banning them from subsequent events and in severe cases, calling on venue security for help.
- Follow-up: We will let the person who has made the complaint know our course of action and if requested, escort them to their car, BART or Muni when they’re ready to leave the event.
If you have questions please contact event organizers directly at email@example.com.
The above Code of Conduct may be revised at any time by Heavybit and is non-negotiable. This Code of Conduct is without prejudice to Heavybit’s rights, all of which it expressly reserves.